The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I was watching the Ravens/Steelers, the late night ESPN game and the referee Walt Anderson(i think) was stopping the clock on a sack, the clock was started on the RFP I guess but any clue why he was doing this? I never noticed this before.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

I believe this is the rule except in the last two minutes. The clock was not stopped when the Vikings sacked the Cards Josh McCown on 3rd down with less than 30 seconds to go. They had to set quickly and run the play.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

The NFL has always stopped the clock on a sack -- restarting on the RFP. They've recently (2002) added the time exception (last two minutes of the first or second half). The reasoning is that the offense, in a 2-minute offense, was actually benefiting from the sack in that the clock would stop.

Rich
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

What's the purpose of stopping it though?

One other thing that comes to mind, didn't see him this week, but last week Tom White would punch his fist in his other hand and then signal first down. He's the only one I've seen do this, anything behind that?
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes

One other thing that comes to mind, didn't see him this week, but last week Tom White would punch his fist in his other hand and then signal first down. He's the only one I've seen do this, anything behind that?
I believe he does this to create his own style. Kind of like Red Cashion saying, "FIRST DOWN".

Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Ed Hochuli does much the same thing, only with bigger arms LOL...if there is a body building competition for NFL officials, my money goes on him...
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

My wife likes to call him Ed Hercules. His name is the only Referee's name she ever recalls.

Needless to say, I won't be inviting Ed over for dinner

Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

The NFL's reasoning was that they would give the receivers time to get back to the huddle.

Rule 4 Article 7 Supplemental notes

The following situations are automatic Referee's time outs -
1 - When there is a change of possession. The game clock will start on the snap.

2 - Any possibility of a measurementfor first down or in consulting a captain about one.

3 - Any time the player who originally takes the snap is tackled behind the line of scrimmage.

Note 1 - The play clock starts at 40 seconds after the tackle.

Note 2 - Prior to the two minute warning of a half, the Referee will allow the recievers to approach the line of scrimmage before giving the wind-the-game-clock signal.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ed Hochuli does much the same thing, only with bigger arms LOL...if there is a body building competition for NFL officials, my money goes on him...
lol yessss... the guy clears piles of players to get to the ball to see who has it... lol. That's probaly the only ref that fans are afraid to say "We'll see you in the parking lot" lol /
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
lol yessss... the guy clears piles of players to get to the ball to see who has it... lol. That's probaly the only ref that fans are afraid to say "We'll see you in the parking lot" lol /
Yeah and if memory serves me correctly, he is also a lawyer, so after he pummels them ( in self defense) he will sue them for assault LOL
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Ed is an attorney, and yes, he also does the little handle clap before signaling first down.

I would like to see Ed in the big game this year. I enjoy watching him work. His explanations during his "mic time" are excellent.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Yeah I like Ed too. I like Mike Carey too but here lately he almost seems to be making a dramatic tv series out of what he does. I would like to see Mike get a chance but he seems to have 1 game a year that keeps him from getting there...
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

It will be interesting to see which crews get the call this season with the new playoff plan. If there are guys on the crew that are ineligible for the playoffs (rookies), then they are replaced by the next highest rated official at that position.

I don't think you are eligible for the SB until you are in your 5th (maybe 3rd) year, so the SB crew will end up being somewhat patchwork after all.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:30pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:

I believe he does this to create his own style. Kind of like Red Cashion saying, "FIRST DOWN".

As far as I know, every NFL white hat says "First Down."
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 12:36pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
It will be interesting to see which crews get the call this season with the new playoff plan. If there are guys on the crew that are ineligible for the playoffs (rookies), then they are replaced by the next highest rated official at that position.

I don't think you are eligible for the SB until you are in your 5th (maybe 3rd) year, so the SB crew will end up being somewhat patchwork after all.
5th year for the SB. Ed H was the alternate last year and I haven't seen his crew in any controversies this year - it could be them. Corollo had it last year. Perhaps we should expect to see a crew with 2, maybe 3 substitutions for the SB.