The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   What Happened to Bernie Kukar? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/11416-what-happened-bernie-kukar.html)

ABoselli Tue Dec 30, 2003 01:59pm

He is dressed and at the ready on the sidelines. I'm not sure if he goes up and down the field with them or stands in one location.

As a guy who's been an alternate for a game, it is pretty wierd. I found myself doing little things to be 'in the game' in case anybody went down. I would say the down and distance to myself before each play, as well as the time on the clock. I would look at tendencies by each team based on down and distance and would watch what the officials were doing as far as initial position and how they covered the play as it unfolded to see if there was something they did that I could pick up.

The only spot I knew I wouldn't be going in as was the R, so I kept my eyes on everyone except him.

Bob M. Tue Dec 30, 2003 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ump76
So does the alternate during the playoffs stand on the sideline......dress and stay in the lockerroom or what? I don't know about everyone else but it takes me a little time to get the gear on but I would also feel funny dressed pretty mucj knowing I was not going to work. Please advise.
REPLY: As far as I know, he's dressed in uniform, wearing a jacket, and standing along the sidelines.

James Neil Tue Dec 30, 2003 02:56pm

. [/B][/QUOTE]

I would also feel funny dressed pretty much knowing I was not going to work. Please advise. [/B][/QUOTE]

Heck, I’m dressed in my uniform as we speak. I mean come on. You have to be ready in case you get the call. The only hassle is changeing out of my Batman costume :D

cmathews Tue Dec 30, 2003 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally posted by James Neil
I would also feel funny dressed pretty much knowing I was not going to work. Please advise. [/B][/QUOTE]

Heck, I’m dressed in my uniform as we speak. I mean come on. You have to be ready in case you get the call. The only hassle is changeing out of my Batman costume :D

[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL that is funny, but honestly we have a guy in our BBall association, that goes to games (that he isn't working) dressed in his uniform. He is a little beyond his glory days, still wears the byron collar,(for non BBall guys that is a no no) but he goes a lot of places looking like he works at foot locker LOL

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 30, 2003 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by James Neil

[/B][/QUOTE]

In my college years, I had my gear packed and ready to go in my car. Both of my assignors (I was a dual member with another association) knew my cell phone number and e-mail address. I literally would sit in a 9am computer progrmaming class and receive an e-mail if I could do a 3pm double header. It was great! I was rewarded for my dedication.

crelman Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:25pm

Bernie/Camp Easton

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
That's too bad, I really like Bernie too, his name is fun to say. Kukar! Get better soon!
Best wishes to my old friend Bernie for a speedy recovery. He used to own a summer camp in far northern Minnesota, where I attended for five magical summers. He came to our house in Kansas City to show camp movies in our basement, drumming up business. Back then he was officiating high school games. After losing track of him, I saw him on Monday Night Football about ten years ago and contacted him. He has since sold the camp but, as we know, continues as a top NFL official.

Get well soon, Bernie!

ump76 Wed Dec 31, 2003 01:13pm

was it last year or the year before he worked the Super Bowl? Anyways I hear he rated 100 for the entire season. That is impressive.

Bob M. Wed Dec 31, 2003 02:08pm

Quote:

was it last year or the year before he worked the Super Bowl? Anyways I hear he rated 100 for the entire season. That is impressive.
REPLY: Kukar worked the 2002 Super Bowl. I <u>think</u> that last year's referee was Bill Carollo.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 31, 2003 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:

REPLY: Kukar worked the 2002 Super Bowl. I <u>think</u> that last year's referee was Bill Carollo.

And Gerry Austin in 2001.

lawref Wed Dec 31, 2003 04:24pm

The alternate is dressed on the sideline, near the chain crew, wearing a jacket. While you might feel a little funny standing there, dressed, and knowing you probably won't get to work, it beats watching the game from your own couch!

Snake~eyes Wed Dec 31, 2003 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by lawref
The alternate is dressed on the sideline, near the chain crew, wearing a jacket. While you might feel a little funny standing there, dressed, and knowing you probably won't get to work, it beats watching the game from your own couch!
I agree. I'd take standing on the sidelines, dressed in uniform, and getting payed like $6,500 to watch the superbowl any day.

Ed Hickland Thu Jan 01, 2004 07:09pm

A bit of trivia.

Former NFL Director or Officials, Jerry Seeman, was the alternate in a Superbowl and did come in and work when one of the on-field officials was injured. It was Jerry's last game on the field.

Bob M. Fri Jan 02, 2004 09:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Hickland
A bit of trivia.

Former NFL Director or Officials, Jerry Seeman, was the alternate in a Superbowl and did come in and work when one of the on-field officials was injured. It was Jerry's last game on the field.

REPLY: Ed, I'm sure you're correct about Jerry having to step in as an alternate on one of the Super Bowls, but I'm pretty sure that his last game on the field was as the <u>assigned</u> referee in the NYG--Buffalo Bills Super Bowl...1991, I believe.

ump76 Fri Jan 02, 2004 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

Originally posted by lawref
I agree. I'd take standing on the sidelines, dressed in uniform, and getting payed like $6,500 to watch the superbowl any day.

I want a job going to the Superbowl free of charge and having the NFL pick up all my tabs and pay me to watch from the best seat in the house on the sidelines. Where do I sign up?

Snake~eyes Sat Jan 03, 2004 01:09am

You can sign up once you have 10 years HS, 5 years college and I think three years NFL. GOod luck! :)