The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

How do you experienced wingmen use the sideline warnings? Do you use them primarily for keeping the team box looking as it should be or can it be used for boarderline USC. For instance, you hear profane language behind you, you know it came from the team box, but really don't know who said it. I realize, if the language is foul enough, you could give the USC to the head coach, but is this a situation where the sideline warning could be used? Also, what are the proper mechanics for giving the warning? Thanks!
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I tend to just use the sideline warning for keeping the kids back. On USC, if it's blatant enough I'll simply call it - but for borderline USC, I'll almost always give the coach a warning (even if it's not him that said it - like the situation you describe). The coach is held personally responsible for the conduct of his sideline - so I don't really care who said what - it's all on the coach.

That said - if something's bad enough for an immediate USC, I usually know who said it, and will issue it directly to him.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Two separate animals...

I agree. Its not a good idea to mix and match penalty enforcements for two different fouls.

The sideline warning is simply used to get the offending team's attention to move back into the team box and keep the sidelines clear for safety purposes. Only 3 coaches are allowed in the coach's box. When both wings enforce this its a good deal.

I agree that when you hear profanity and cannot identify the offending individual, we have a difficult decision to make. I agree that when its loud enough for the fans and your fellow officials to hear then its a good idea to just assess it towards the head coach. If its only within your ear-shot then a warning to the head coach may be your best option. Then he can chew-out the team and coaching staff for you. This of course works best when both wings handle it consistently and you have a good working relationship with your sideline.

Let your good judgement be your guide but above all crew consistency is the most important.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

I rarely encounter profanity. It's the 'chirping' at the officials that usually comes more often. That is where I use some warnings and work with the coach to avoid USC.

After a first down, I like to have my chain crew get the clip set, then move back at least a yard. That helps make the team and coaches stay back and is safer for everyone, including ME.