The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever heard of somthing called the 1996 Timing Rule? Anyone have any reference to it where I could read this? Reason I ask is I was watching a LL game, using a field clock, player runs out of bounds and they start clock on the RFP. Coach asks why the clock is running and WH says 1996 Timing Rule, I thought it was total BS.

And, little leage again, after a safety, Coach asks WH if the ball is live if they punt, he says no its not. Coach starts telling his players to stay away from the ball. It's my understanding that this is a freekick, after it goes 10 yards its a live ball for K. Right?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Got me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Has anyone ever heard of somthing called the 1996 Timing Rule? Anyone have any reference to it where I could read this? Reason I ask is I was watching a LL game, using a field clock, player runs out of bounds and they start clock on the RFP. Coach asks why the clock is running and WH says 1996 Timing Rule, I thought it was total BS.

And, little leage again, after a safety, Coach asks WH if the ball is live if they punt, he says no its not. Coach starts telling his players to stay away from the ball. It's my understanding that this is a freekick, after it goes 10 yards its a live ball for K. Right?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
We got this "mity-mites", kids 6-8, I believe. No rushing on scrimmage kicks, no more than 5 rushing on scrimmage plays(no LB blitzes, basically), and no score kept on the board(even though everybody knows "the score. BUT, to start the clock on the RFP on a player OOB in a majority running game???? Why ??? guess someone likes to hang out all day Sundays!!!!

PS, ya get my mail on the test answers????
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've read the league modfication rules and there are no provisions for time keeping. Just wondering if anyone ever heard of 1996 timing rule.

And yep I got the test answers, thanx
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: First of all, there was no such thing as the "1996 Timing Rule" in the Federation rule book (or the NCAA book for that matter). If anything, it has to be a league modification. Secondly, after a safety, the following kick--whether as a place kick or a punt--is indeed a free kick. As such all free kick rules in NF 6-1 apply, including the stipulation that after the ball has gone ten yards and touched the ground, or touched an R player, it's a free ball.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

1996 timing rules

or more appropiately 1995 timing rules were the rules in place that governed when the game clock starts. Prior to 1996, the game clock was started by the RFP after a change of possession unless the previous play was OOB, incomplete pass, fair catch (awarded fair catch), or there was a team time out, or delay of game penalty. As an example, if team A did not reach the LTG after a fourth down running play the clock was stopped to award B a new series and then restarted by the RFP.

The local youth league games have 10 minute quarters (they have playing time requirements for the players) but use the 1995 timing rules.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I thought about punt.

nvfoa15, NV for north virginia? or nevada?

-Snake
Old Thu Nov 13, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Northern Virginia