The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

This happened Friday night, I was working as LJ.

Pass on my sideline on a fade route. Defensive back puts his hand clearly in the face of the receiver. For about a step and a half, the receiver is looking for the ball but the defender is not. Receiver jumps, defender jumps turns to the ball and intercepts it. What do you have?

I had a no call, our BJ flagged it. We talked and called DPI. I didn't flag it because in the casebook where face guarding is listed it says the defender makes no attempt to bat, catch or intercept the pass. Since he intercepted the ball, I figured that obviously counts as an attempt to catch the ball. The BJ said he face guarded, then he made an attempt to catch the ball, after committing the foul.

I don't have a problem with the BJ's call, just curious if you guys would have done the same.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Got the same call as your BJ.

Think of it this way. If the defender had gone step for step and turned at the right moment, what would you have? An interception.

But, because the defender face guarded the intended receiver he gained the advantage of the receiver not being able to adjust to the ball; therefore, he intercepted. Why was he in position to intercept? Because he gained that advantage through taking out the receiver.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Ed 100%
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 04:36am
Official Forum Member

I agree with your BJ's call.

B interfered with A before the ball was there to be intercepted. If he has physically interfered and then intercepted would your call be different?

Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I see where you guys are coming from. In my mind, I was remembering the casebook wording that said "makes no attempt" which was different than what the rule states regarding contact. Looking back on the play, it seems so much more obvious that an advantage was gained and I should have had a flag. Good thing the play was between the BJ and myself and he got the flag. Thanks for the help guys.