The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

One of my crew members reported to me that in a JV game an eligible receiver went downfield about 5 yards and blocked a defender legally. Then continued downfield and caught a pass.

When he reported to the referee he was told that was legal.

I thought A was restricted from hindering B at the snap and the penalty was offensive pass interference.

I am incorrect?
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct. Offensive restriction starts with the snap. Flag the OPI when the ball crosses the NZ. Legal pass? yes. Untouched by B in or behind NZ? Yes. PI beyond the NZ? Yes. A hinders B = Loss of 15 and loss of down. If the PI is intentional. Add 15 yards.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Yes you are Ed . NF 7-5-8a... Pass interference restrictions on a legal forward pass begin for A with the snap.
The only time A can block beyond his LOS on a forward pass play is if the contact by A is immediately on a B lineman and the contact does not continue beyond the expanded neutral zone.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
The only time A can block beyond his LOS on a forward pass play...
The ONLY time?!? Good thing this isn't the Fed test!! If the forward pass is completed behind the NZ or the pass was touched behind the NZ by B then all is well.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
The only time A can block beyond his LOS on a forward pass play is if the contact by A is immediately on a B lineman and the contact does not continue beyond the expanded neutral zone.
I agree - this sounds like a T/F question on a test that's false, but trying to trick you into answering true.

They, of course, can block in the aforementioned cases, and also they can block after the ball is caught.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Ed:
You are correct.
If you have an eligible downfield blocking and your tackle key indicates it's a pass play the only way the eligible doesn't draw a PI flag is if the pass is behind the neutral zone, (or the pass isn't thrown and the play ends up a running play).
As a wing official, I would prefer to flag the PI and then if it ends up a running play or a pass behind the neutral zone, you can wave off the flag.

Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder

I agree - this sounds like a T/F question on a test that's false, but trying to trick you into answering true.

They, of course, can block in the aforementioned cases, and also they can block after the ball is caught. [/B]
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
The ONLY time?!? Good thing this isn't the Fed test!! If the forward pass is completed behind the NZ or the pass was touched behind the NZ by B then all is well. [/B]

Well CURTIN-RODS! You two caught me being lazy big time , dad-gum-it! LOL I also realized this as soon as I posted. I should have known I couldnÂ’t get away with such an incomplete ruling. At least not around here I won't. Good catch you guys
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
Ed:
You are correct.
If you have an eligible downfield blocking and your tackle key indicates it's a pass play the only way the eligible doesn't draw a PI flag is if the pass is behind the neutral zone, (or the pass isn't thrown and the play ends up a running play).
As a wing official, I would prefer to flag the PI and then if it ends up a running play or a pass behind the neutral zone, you can wave off the flag.

REPLY: Just a comment on your technique...I would respectfully recommend that you throw the flag for OPI only after a pass is thrown. Throwing the flag for potential OPI on a run just because your interior blocking key showed pass is incorrect. Put the OPI "in the bank" and only throw (back toward the spot of the OPI) when the pass is thrown. Then if you find that the pass did not cross the NZ, have the R wave it off. This is the way that the NFL and NCAA handles the situation.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by kentref
Ed:
You are correct.

REPLY: Just a comment on your technique...I would respectfully recommend that you throw the flag for OPI only after a pass is thrown. Throwing the flag for potential OPI on a run just because your interior blocking key showed pass is incorrect. Put the OPI "in the bank" and only throw (back toward the spot of the OPI) when the pass is thrown. Then if you find that the pass did not cross the NZ, have the R wave it off. This is the way that the NFL and NCAA handles the situation.
Good point on the mechanic that should be used.