The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Odd penalty sequence question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/105106-odd-penalty-sequence-question.html)

chapmaja Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:10pm

Odd penalty sequence question

Heard about this from a friend. Don't know if its true, but am I correct in how it should have been handled by the officials.

Last 30 seconds of the game. Team A has the ball A49 yard line. 3rd and 20 (holding penalty on a previous play, plus a couple incompletions). During the play, A63 commits a holding penalty, while A82 commits a personal fould facemask. As the QB scrambles, he crosses the LOS by a couple yards before throwing a pass (from B48 yard line) which is complete deep into Team B territory, (illegal forward pass penalty is called). After the play, A88 taunts an opponent. When he is flagged for taunting he rips his helmet off and throws it to the bench as he walks off the field. B80 then taunts A88 as he is being walked off the field.

My understanding of this situation is we have three live ball fouls. Holding on A63, PF Facemask on A82, and an illegal forward pass. The defense has the option of which of these penalties to accept (they chose the IFP, with its loss of down). After those penalties are enforced, the two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are accessed against A88, which results in his disqualifiation from the game. B80 is also accessed an unsportsmanlike and is disqualified (state rules, taunting equals disqualification). The officials then mark off the penalty yardage (5 yards?) from the sport of the IFP, plus 15 yards for the unsportsmanlike conduct which was not offset. Thus following this mess we should have 4th down and forever at A's 32 yard line correct?

My friend told me the officials ruled everything offset on the play and they replayed the down from the A49 yard line. He didn't think it was right, and I'm sure he is correct, but I'm not positive my penalties are right.

This was a JV game last fall between two schools who have a history of bad blood between them and questionable ethics within their coaching staffs.

Rich Mon Jul 20, 2020 02:09pm

5 yards from the spot of the pass, LOD. All the dead ball stuff is handled after that.

If the crew offset everything, they're wrong. There is no live ball B foul to offset the live ball A fouls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Robert Goodman Tue Jul 21, 2020 08:55am

My only question would be whether time expired for the game. Since you described a long live ball sequence as occurring "last 30 seconds", I could imagine its having consumed it all.

Assuming no touchdown was scored, team B could then decline the penalties and the dead ball fouls never officially occurred, because the game was over. If a touchdown did occur, team B could accept the penalty for illegal forward pass, and with the loss of down the game would still be over, and still no dead ball fouls. If the league they're in wants to assess additional outside-the-game penalties (suspension, no cookies, whatever) for the players' behavior afterward, that's on them.

chapmaja Tue Jul 21, 2020 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1039100)
My only question would be whether time expired for the game. Since you described a long live ball sequence as occurring "last 30 seconds", I could imagine its having consumed it all.

Assuming no touchdown was scored, team B could then decline the penalties and the dead ball fouls never officially occurred, because the game was over. If a touchdown did occur, team B could accept the penalty for illegal forward pass, and with the loss of down the game would still be over, and still no dead ball fouls. If the league they're in wants to assess additional outside-the-game penalties (suspension, no cookies, whatever) for the players' behavior afterward, that's on them.

Good point, no, the game did not end on that play.

CT1 Thu Jul 23, 2020 07:30pm

I agree with the OP’s outcome. 2 of the 3 DB fouls offset, leaving one to be assessed against A.

OkieZebra Sun Jul 26, 2020 05:00pm

I've heard tell of places that would want just one penalty to be assessed against A88 (though that one would be an ejection). That would result in one UNS to each side and no distance for them. I'm not entirely sure how I like it by itself, but it seems a better fit when there's an automatic DQ for taunting by state choice.

Also don't think that ruling the fouls never officially occurred is the right way to handle it happening if we have them on a down where time expires with a loss of down. They won't be enforced due to the loss of down, but are part of the game and need to be reported to the state. And I'm definitely doing that in a game like this.

My hypothetical miked up spiel for all 6 fouls where time expired might be something like this...

"There are multiple fouls on the play. Holding, offense, that penalty is declined. Personal foul, facemask, offense, that penalty is declined. Illegal forward pass, offense, five yard penalty from the spot of the foul, loss of down. After the play, unsportsmanlike conduct, offense, the player is disqualified. Unsportsmanlike conduct, defense, the player is disqualified. Those penalties offset. Unsportsmanlike conduct, offense. As time expired during the play, we will not repeat the down due to the loss of down foul. Ball game."

... I'm not sure there's ever a good way to report six fouls.

Robert Goodman Mon Jul 27, 2020 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieZebra (Post 1039141)
Also don't think that ruling the fouls never officially occurred is the right way to handle it happening if we have them on a down where time expires with a loss of down. They won't be enforced due to the loss of down, but are part of the game and need to be reported to the state. And I'm definitely doing that in a game like this.

But don't you see a difference between "on a down" and "after a down"? If time expired and the down had already ended, then subsequent actions are not part of the game.

HLin NC Mon Jul 27, 2020 06:42pm

The fouls officially occurred and yes, are part of the game. Ejections are to be reported in most states for sometimes further administrative penalties. Per NFHS rule change a few years back, our jurisdiction extends to the filing of any necessary reports. It is certainly still in effect while we are sorting out penalty administration.

Robert Goodman Mon Jul 27, 2020 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1039153)
The fouls officially occurred and yes, are part of the game.

Under the conditions Okiezebra stated, how so?

HLin NC Tue Jul 28, 2020 04:42pm

Its all been explained. If you don't understand then there isn't much more that can be done.

Robert Goodman Tue Jul 28, 2020 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1039170)
Its all been explained. If you don't understand then there isn't much more that can be done.

Something can be done. You can put together the exact statements you mean apply to the exact facts.

So what if your "jurisdiction" extends until midnight? You're a game official, so you can't administer penalties that are not part of the game. You can be a witness for any number of actions, but actions that occur after the game ends are not part of the game.

And yes, that makes a difference. The actions that occurred after the game should be judged by the same standards as if any other students from either of those schools walked into the playing area and did them, not by the standards you would apply to players, substitutes, and other participants.

Rich Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1039171)
Something can be done. You can put together the exact statements you mean apply to the exact facts.

So what if your "jurisdiction" extends until midnight? You're a game official, so you can't administer penalties that are not part of the game. You can be a witness for any number of actions, but actions that occur after the game ends are not part of the game.

And yes, that makes a difference. The actions that occurred after the game should be judged by the same standards as if any other students from either of those schools walked into the playing area and did them, not by the standards you would apply to players, substitutes, and other participants.

You can eject team members and/or coaches, which carry subsequent administrative penalties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

HLin NC Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:41am

And you can stop being purposely obtuse.

Robert Goodman Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1039173)
You can eject team members and/or coaches, which carry subsequent administrative penalties.

You can't eject them from the game. The game is history. Fed rules say:
Quote:

The game officials maintain administrative responsibilities for the contest through the completion of any required reports or correspondence in response to any action occurring while the officials have jurisdiction. State Associations may intercede in the event of unusual incidents after the officials have signaled the end of the game
All the rules about unsportsmanlike conduct refer to the actions of players and certain categories of nonplayers during games. After the game, there's no such thing as unsportsmanlike conduct, only "unusual incidents". An action which would be unsportsmanlike conduct may or may not be an "unusual incident" after a game, and vice versa.

Rich Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1039178)
You can't eject them from the game. The game is history. Fed rules say:

All the rules about unsportsmanlike conduct refer to the actions of players and certain categories of nonplayers during games. After the game, there's no such thing as unsportsmanlike conduct, only "unusual incidents". An action which would be unsportsmanlike conduct may or may not be an "unusual incident" after a game, and vice versa.

Trust me when I say that state associations are not going to try to split that infinitive. A post-game ejection will carry the same penalties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chapmaja Sun Aug 02, 2020 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1039171)

I can tell you that effective in 2019, you can (and should) eject someone if the circumstances warrant that ejection up until the point you leave the property at which the contest is conduct (yes, this means if a coach does something like flipping you the bird as you are in the turn lane pulling out of the school parking lot, you are supposed to eject them. )

For those that don't think I am correct, this is the exact working from from the MHSAA's officials guidebook. Important parts in bold.

"When a student or coach commits an ejectable offense against an official following the conclusion of the contest, but before the
officials have left the facility and/or grounds
, an official may disqualify the student or coach as though it had occurred during the
contest.

NOTE: This does not apply to situations where an official from an earlier contest remains at the facility as a spectator of a later"

In the assigners meeting last year, it was made very clear what the definition of facility / grounds was, the school or facility property of the contest location, including the parking lot.

With that said, to my knowledge no ejections were issued for incidents outside the actually playing facility. Personally, the only way I would be issuing an ejection in the parking lot is if it rose the the level of requiring me to contact facility security or law enforcement for my own protection or the protection of my officiating crew.

contest.

chapmaja Sun Aug 02, 2020 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkieZebra (Post 1039141)
I've heard tell of places that would want just one penalty to be assessed against A88 (though that one would be an ejection). That would result in one UNS to each side and no distance for them. I'm not entirely sure how I like it by itself, but it seems a better fit when there's an automatic DQ for taunting by state choice.

My hypothetical miked up spiel for all 6 fouls where time expired might be something like this...

"There are multiple fouls on the play. Holding, offense, that penalty is declined. Personal foul, facemask, offense, that penalty is declined. Illegal forward pass, offense, five yard penalty from the spot of the foul, loss of down. After the play, unsportsmanlike conduct, offense, the player is disqualified. Unsportsmanlike conduct, defense, the player is disqualified. Those penalties offset. Unsportsmanlike conduct, offense. As time expired during the play, we will not repeat the down due to the loss of down foul. Ball game."

... I'm not sure there's ever a good way to report six fouls.

I have heard the same argument regarding unsportsmanlike acts against players both in football and in basketball. (Had the argument about how many technical fouls can be accessed to a player for unsportsmanlike conduct.).

My general line of thinking is if it is a single act, such as yelling and screaming at an official, that gets you one unsportsmanlike conduct call. I will give you a reasonable amount of time to make your point, and if you stop, we remain at one. (usually about 30 seconds provided profanity isn't used, and depending on the age level of the contests, high school stuff much less forgiveness than adult rec sports). I will attempt to end the conversation, but if they continue beyond the end point, a second unsportsmanlike is issued.

If the actions that earn the unsportsmanlike conduct are different, each gets penalized. For example, if a basketball player screams a profanity at a referee, he gets T'ed up. If he then rips his jersey off, he has earned a second T, and his trip out of the facility (adult league). If he then does something like throw a chair from the team bench onto the court or throws the basketball at the back of the official, he has earned himself a third T. With adult league games I have no problem giving additional unsportsmanlike conduct sanctions because the team needs to get their AH (I mean player under control). For school sports, I will give the coaches time to get an athlete under control if at all possible before going beyond a second T.

Speaking of the number of penalties, I actually had an ejection overturned in a wRECk League game a couple years ago. I issued a flagrant technical foul (automatic ejection) for a player getting in my face and actually spitting on me. Since he was not issued two technical fouls, the league intially overturned the ejection, until I actually got the rulebook out and clearly defined a flagrant technical is an automatic ejection The other part of the story was he was actually detained for that incident. One of the "fans" at that game was an police officer. I was asked after the game if I wanted to press charges, but declined (he spit on my shoes). Now, given the pandemic, I likely would press charges.