The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free Kick (https://forum.officiating.com/football/10440-free-kick.html)

nelson_28602 Wed Oct 15, 2003 07:43pm

Following a safety, K1 free kicks from the 20. His low line-drive place kick strikes one of the five "front line" receivers and rebounds back over the kicking team, into and out of the endzone. I say this is a safety, my friends say touchback. Who is right?

PiggSkin Wed Oct 15, 2003 07:57pm

Well, the first thing I would say is "Holy S---"... Did this actually happen..?

The force was supplied by K's kick, so I would agree with you and call it a safety...

That's gotta be a record... Safeties on back to back plays for the same team... ;)

Warrenkicker Wed Oct 15, 2003 08:10pm

6-4 IF THE KICK BECOMES DEAD IN K S END ZONE

If the force is: The kick or any other new force by K. Then the ruling is: Safety, if the kick is out of bounds or K has possession, including when the ball is loose or Touchdown if R is in possession.

If the force is: A new force by R: Touchback, if the kick is out of bounds, or K has possession, including when the ball is loose or Touchdown if R is in possession.

As 6-2-6 states: The touching of a low scrimmage kick by any player is ignored if the touching is in or behind the expanded neutral zone. I would assume from this that touching beyond the expanded neutral zone is not ignored. Thus during a scrimmage kick an R player could be hit by a ball 5 yards beyond the LOS and the ball could bounce back into K's endzone. This would be a touchback as R forced it into K's endzone.

So by the same thought process I would award K a touchback as R forced the ball into K's endzone. I may be using an odd thought process but I still say it is a touchback.

PSU213 Wed Oct 15, 2003 08:25pm

This is a free kick, so the "touching of a low scrimmage kick in flight" clause does not apply. What does apply (among other things) is 2-13 (definition of force) and 8-5 (force, safety, and touchback). The bottom line from those rules is that a new force can only be applied to a grounded kick. Presuming this kick did not hit the ground before it caromed off the R player, no new force has been applied. Therefore, K's kick is the force that "put" the ball behind the GL; you have a safety.

Warrenkicker Wed Oct 15, 2003 09:34pm

Ok. I missapplied the term force on this one. My comparison above it wrong in that that touching only covers the possibility of K to recover the ball and get a 1-10.

8-5-3b It is a touchback when: Any scrimmage kick or free kick becomes dead on or behind Ks goal line with the ball in possession of K (including when the ball is declared dead with no player in possession) and the new force is R s muff or bat of the kick after it has touched the ground.

BktBallRef Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Warrenkicker
8-5-3b It is a touchback when: Any scrimmage kick or free kick becomes dead on or behind Ks goal line with the ball in possession of K (including when the ball is declared dead with no player in possession) and the new force is R s muff or bat of the kick after it has touched the ground.
Doesn't sound like the kick touched the ground before touching R.

seanireland Thu Oct 16, 2003 02:51pm

I would agree with you and PSU. The ball was not grounded. K kicked through his own EZ. Safety.

Warrenkicker Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by Warrenkicker
Doesn't sound like the kick touched the ground before touching R.

Yep. That is the most important thing on this play.