The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 05, 2018, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Crew Radio Communications

Last thread this topic I could find was 2 years old.

I've used several different radios and our crew is looking to purchase radios. Wonder what brand/model others have used and anything to look for. We are not considering the professional systems that can cost $1000+; we are talking the cheaper systems for Friday nights.

Roger
Old Wed Sep 05, 2018, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I was leaning towards the Midland LXT560 because it includes weather alerts.

https://midlandusa.com/product/lxt560two-way-radios/
Old Wed Sep 05, 2018, 01:49pm
TODO: creative title here

Midlands will work just fine... as long as you have a set that can all a) communicate with each other, b) have adequate range (300 yards line-of-sight, which basically any radio can do) and c) can fit an earpiece, you're fine.

If other crews in your area use a specific brand or style, it would probably be a good idea to get the same set so officials can move from crew to crew without compatibility concerns.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

In our area officials are using the Midland X-talker 71 which is in the FRS band, and the GTX 1000 which is FRS/GMRS. FRS is slightly better because GMRS requires a license if you want to use that frequency range.

Whatever radio you use, look for privacy channels (although this may have another name based in the radio maker). Think of these as sub channels that make it harder to cross talk or be interfered with. So instead if everyone on channel 3, everyone would be in change 3-05 for example.

Even radios from different makers can talk because they FRS frequencies are assigned, however privacy channels work a little different. Motoralla keeps number channels and Midland splits them into two sub bands (ctcss and dcs? I think, working from memory). Ctcss has about 21 channels, and those same numbers will work accr0ss brands. Dcs starts Iver at one, but for everyone else it would be 22 (or one number after ctcss tops out).

If you keep the main channel below 21 or 22, that keeps you in FRS frequencies, so even if so mine has the GMRS radio they'll talk to each other.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old Fri Sep 07, 2018, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

We have been use the Midland LXT550 series for 2 years now...pretty identical to the link posted prior. Most guys I know know use the "secret service/bouncer" type ear piece. I think we bought them in a 6-gang pack with the ear pieces that was offered at the time. https://purchaseofficials.com/collec...urity-headsets

I do know crews that had the ones with the weather alert indicators....they switched out of them and said it was incredibly distracting. Not sure if you can disable that feature, but nearly everywhere we work, there are trainers/ADs/Game management with lightning locators or phones dialed up with weather apps on them when inclement weather looks imminent. I have yet to find a crew that has gone to them that doesn't love them for a multitude of reasons. Great tool, IMO. Good luck.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 02:04pm
Chain of Fools

Bought a set of 5 Baofeng's on eBay for about $88. Got security style earpieces for about $7 a piece offeBay also.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Bought a set of 5 Baofeng's on eBay for about $88. Got security style earpieces for about $7 a piece offeBay also.
Our crew has used these last year and this year. I would recommend that you use a new earpiece each season as we have had two fail this season. Glad I had extras! Also we used them this past Friday night in the rain and they held up fine. Amazon also sells them if you have Prime.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 08:33am
Chain of Fools

The earpieces that come with the Baofengs are trash for the most part. I broke one on the first week I used them last year. Very thin wire.

I ordered decent quality security type earpieces and they have held up fine. I get them for about $7 each so I carry spares and some of the guys just buy them from me so they have their own in their bag.