View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

In our area officials are using the Midland X-talker 71 which is in the FRS band, and the GTX 1000 which is FRS/GMRS. FRS is slightly better because GMRS requires a license if you want to use that frequency range.

Whatever radio you use, look for privacy channels (although this may have another name based in the radio maker). Think of these as sub channels that make it harder to cross talk or be interfered with. So instead if everyone on channel 3, everyone would be in change 3-05 for example.

Even radios from different makers can talk because they FRS frequencies are assigned, however privacy channels work a little different. Motoralla keeps number channels and Midland splits them into two sub bands (ctcss and dcs? I think, working from memory). Ctcss has about 21 channels, and those same numbers will work accr0ss brands. Dcs starts Iver at one, but for everyone else it would be 22 (or one number after ctcss tops out).

If you keep the main channel below 21 or 22, that keeps you in FRS frequencies, so even if so mine has the GMRS radio they'll talk to each other.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk