The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy Taylor
I've been asked to step up and white hat games this year and the first few games went rather well. I called a game this past weekend and had one team running a tight double slot formation. The quarterback would hand off to the lone running back up the middle and the two slot backs would come in behind him. I called aiding the runner twice because the slot backs and quarterback was pushing him (from my view point). The coach went ballistic letting me know that he has ran that play the whole year and no other referee had called him for it. I'm sure that my decision was correct but would like to get some feedback from more experience officials.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Sounds correct to me, if his teammates are pushing him its assisting the runner. My WH called this on a ExtraPoint in little league, coach went ballistic. (Run=1pt, Kick=2pt)
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Remember that just because something has not been called "all" season doesn't make it legal.

Last friday I had light contact on the punter after the kick. I ruled that the defensive player didn't displace the kicker and so no running-into-the-kicker. He said that last week he had three roughing-the-punter calls against him. I would guess from his reaction that he thought those calls last week should have been running-into instead of roughing. So just because it is or isn't called prior to that doesn't make it legal tonight. You must make your best judgement at the time and try not to second guess yourself too much. It will keep you from sleeping after the game.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Do not look for trouble.

Personally, I would stay away from this call. Unless a runner's teammates are pulling him forward (ahead of the runner) I would leave this alone. If all they are doing is pushing the pile, so to speak, I would not call this. Not because it technically a reality, but somethings need to be left alone. I realize that some will say this is illegal, but this is just looking for trouble. You have every right to call this, but remember if you call it once, they are going to expect everytime it looks like someone pushing the pile, then you are going to have to keep calling it over and over again. I would just leave this alone and call the obvious violations where someone was dragged forward or picked up by a teammate.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 07, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Pushing a pile, I wouldn't call really. But if the players are directly/visibly pushing the runner than I'd flag that.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

If I read the rules correctly, you cannot physically aid the runner, whether it be pushing, pulling, or (yes) throwing. However, you can aid blockers, provided you're not doing a chop block. The rules only state that you cannot help the runners, but you can push the blockers all you'd like, and I would interpret that to meaning the pile as well, provided your were physically pushing the actual ball carrier. Any other input on that?

[Edited by Simbio on Oct 8th, 2003 at 02:27 PM]
Old Wed Oct 08, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Pushing or leaning on the pile is fine. I won't normally call leaning on the runner either... but if a guy puts his hands on the back of the runner and pushes, I flag it.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with snake-eyes. Pushing the pile is ok. Pushing the runner is aiding the runner. Our crew called this last year in a goal-line situation.