The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Slot back begins movement toward the line of scrimmage just before the snap. How do you call this, is this a false start, with a whistle and flag, or illegal motion with just a flag?
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ask yourself this... did it look like he was similating the start of the snap or just moving forward when the ball was snapped?
You usually can tell.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I would have to say that this was a false start. For it to be illegal motion I would say that the player must have already been in motion and just cut up early. I think your question has him leaving a set position early and not having been in motion.

But then I am a proponent of calling dead-ball false starts on backs who move early as long as they aren't going in motion and not calling those live-ball illegal shifts or illegal motion or just letting them go because the defense didn't react.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Even the motion back who "cuts up early" should be flagged for a false start. He clearly has missed the snap count. Illegal motion should be reserved for the back who is in motion somewhat parallel to the line of scrimmage but who's motion takes him increasingly closer to the line of scrimmage as he goes and then the ball is snapped while is in that motion. Another illegal motion would be a player who is moving forward to get into position but ball gets snapped before he can get stopped.

[Edited by TXMike on Oct 3rd, 2003 at 03:50 PM]
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
Even the motion back who "cuts up early" should be flagged for a false start. He clearly has missed the snap count. Illegal motion should be reserved for the back who is in motion somewhat parallel to the line of scrimmage but who's motion takes him increasingly closer to the line of scrimmage as he goes and then the ball is snapped while is in that motion.
Not under NFHS rules.

7-2-7
Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent's goal line.

Penalty - Illegal motion
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

My post was for NCAA rules but even after reading your post of the Fed rule I do not see how what I described as a false start would not also be one under fed rules.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
My post was for NCAA rules but even after reading your post of the Fed rule I do not see how what I described as a false start would not also be one under fed rules.
Mike, yes, I realized you were speaking NCAA. That's why I wanted to clarify the NFHS rule. All I can tell you is that the rule is directly from the book and it states that it is illegal motion. If that's what the rule states, that's what it is.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I have always been under the understanding that if he is moving forward at the snap it is illegal motion, and that you would flag this at the snap, unless he went up field far enough to enter the neutral zone. Correct or not??
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron_B
I have always been under the understanding that if he is moving forward at the snap it is illegal motion, and that you would flag this at the snap, unless he went up field far enough to enter the neutral zone. Correct or not??
Correct.

If he enters the NZ, then it's encroachment.

If he simulates action at the snap, it's a false start.

If he's in motion and moving forward at the snap, it's illegal motion.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
I would have to say that this was a false start. For it to be illegal motion I would say that the player must have already been in motion and just cut up early. I think your question has him leaving a set position early and not having been in motion.

But then I am a proponent of calling dead-ball false starts on backs who move early as long as they aren't going in motion and not calling those live-ball illegal shifts or illegal motion or just letting them go because the defense didn't react.
To have a false start, the illegal action must occur PRIOR to the snap. Unless you rule that he simulated action at the snap, then back has done nothing illegal until the ball is snapped. Therefore is is a foul simultaneous with the snap - illegal motion.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the confirmation!! I had this twice tonight in a game that was pretty ugly. Illegal motion both times.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

If it drew "B" into the neutral zone, I would call it as a false start. If not, then I would call illegal motion.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think the key distinction between false-start and illegal motion is suddenness. Think of it this way - if the player made a motion, consider what you would have done if, after making the questionable motion that you're flagging, the player stopped his forward motion and set for a second before the ball was snapped. If you'd have let it go, then you have illegal motion (moving toward the line when the ball was snapped). If you would have flagged it, then you have false start (simulating the start of the play).

West Houston Mike