The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   False Start or Illegal Motion??? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/10289-false-start-illegal-motion.html)

The Ref of OZ!!! Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:27pm

Slot back begins movement toward the line of scrimmage just before the snap. How do you call this, is this a false start, with a whistle and flag, or illegal motion with just a flag?

Theisey Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:39pm

Ask yourself this... did it look like he was similating the start of the snap or just moving forward when the ball was snapped?
You usually can tell.

Warrenkicker Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:59pm

I would have to say that this was a false start. For it to be illegal motion I would say that the player must have already been in motion and just cut up early. I think your question has him leaving a set position early and not having been in motion.

But then I am a proponent of calling dead-ball false starts on backs who move early as long as they aren't going in motion and not calling those live-ball illegal shifts or illegal motion or just letting them go because the defense didn't react.

TXMike Fri Oct 03, 2003 03:47pm

Even the motion back who "cuts up early" should be flagged for a false start. He clearly has missed the snap count. Illegal motion should be reserved for the back who is in motion somewhat parallel to the line of scrimmage but who's motion takes him increasingly closer to the line of scrimmage as he goes and then the ball is snapped while is in that motion. Another illegal motion would be a player who is moving forward to get into position but ball gets snapped before he can get stopped.

[Edited by TXMike on Oct 3rd, 2003 at 03:50 PM]

BktBallRef Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:36am

Quote:

Originally posted by TXMike
Even the motion back who "cuts up early" should be flagged for a false start. He clearly has missed the snap count. Illegal motion should be reserved for the back who is in motion somewhat parallel to the line of scrimmage but who's motion takes him increasingly closer to the line of scrimmage as he goes and then the ball is snapped while is in that motion.
Not under NFHS rules.

7-2-7
Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent's goal line.

Penalty - Illegal motion

TXMike Sat Oct 04, 2003 06:20am

My post was for NCAA rules but even after reading your post of the Fed rule I do not see how what I described as a false start would not also be one under fed rules.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 04, 2003 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TXMike
My post was for NCAA rules but even after reading your post of the Fed rule I do not see how what I described as a false start would not also be one under fed rules.
Mike, yes, I realized you were speaking NCAA. That's why I wanted to clarify the NFHS rule. All I can tell you is that the rule is directly from the book and it states that it is illegal motion. If that's what the rule states, that's what it is.

Ron_B Sat Oct 04, 2003 03:26pm

I have always been under the understanding that if he is moving forward at the snap it is illegal motion, and that you would flag this at the snap, unless he went up field far enough to enter the neutral zone. Correct or not??

BktBallRef Sat Oct 04, 2003 06:20pm

NFHS

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron_B
I have always been under the understanding that if he is moving forward at the snap it is illegal motion, and that you would flag this at the snap, unless he went up field far enough to enter the neutral zone. Correct or not??
Correct.

If he enters the NZ, then it's encroachment.

If he simulates action at the snap, it's a false start.

If he's in motion and moving forward at the snap, it's illegal motion.

jack015 Sat Oct 04, 2003 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Warrenkicker
I would have to say that this was a false start. For it to be illegal motion I would say that the player must have already been in motion and just cut up early. I think your question has him leaving a set position early and not having been in motion.

But then I am a proponent of calling dead-ball false starts on backs who move early as long as they aren't going in motion and not calling those live-ball illegal shifts or illegal motion or just letting them go because the defense didn't react.

To have a false start, the illegal action must occur PRIOR to the snap. Unless you rule that he simulated action at the snap, then back has done nothing illegal until the ball is snapped. Therefore is is a foul simultaneous with the snap - illegal motion.

Ron_B Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:24am

Thanks for the confirmation!! I had this twice tonight in a game that was pretty ugly. Illegal motion both times.

Simbio Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:29pm

If it drew "B" into the neutral zone, I would call it as a false start. If not, then I would call illegal motion.

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 06, 2003 02:18pm

I think the key distinction between false-start and illegal motion is suddenness. Think of it this way - if the player made a motion, consider what you would have done if, after making the questionable motion that you're flagging, the player stopped his forward motion and set for a second before the ball was snapped. If you'd have let it go, then you have illegal motion (moving toward the line when the ball was snapped). If you would have flagged it, then you have false start (simulating the start of the play).