The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

The definition of a blindside block established by the committee is “a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching,” and now results in a 15-yard penalty.

The committee stated that the blindside block “involves contact by a blocker against an opponent who, because of physical positioning and focus of concentration, is vulnerable to injury. Unless initiated with open hands, it is a foul for excessive and unnecessary contact when the block is forceful and outside of the free-blocking zone.

Last edited by bigjohn; Sun Sep 17, 2017 at 08:20am.
Old Sun Sep 17, 2017, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
That is my point ITS. Most people don't know what the rule says EVEN some officials.
OK, but the picture does not show anything. The picture shows one moment in time which is not how we make the call for the most part. So if your point is that the officials called a BIB as a result of this one picture, that is not really a very good judge. This is why I asked for several pictures that would show more of the play or the video. It is also a judgment call, which means they might have seen the first level of contact and made a decision.

I called a BIB this weekend after a player had clearly disengaged after first making contact and then pushed the player in the back right when the runner was in the area.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Bib

You can not call BIB from just one picture.
Have to see whole play as block could start in front and defensive player spin around and look like BIB and not be.