The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Illegal Motion or legal reset? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/102898-illegal-motion-legal-reset.html)

johnyd Mon Sep 04, 2017 06:21pm

Illegal Motion or legal reset?

Wide out is lined up as a back and goes in motion. Line is down and set. Fullback for some reason comes out of his stance, realizes he has started early and resets himself. Wide out continues in motion until QB snaps the ball and heads up field. Wide out did not reset himself.

I flagged the play. Referee told me to wave it off because the Fullback had reset himself and remained set for one second before the snap. Comment please.

smileyh Mon Sep 04, 2017 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 1008959)
Wide out is lined up as a back and goes in motion. Line is down and set. Fullback for some reason comes out of his stance, realizes he has started early and resets himself. Wide out continues in motion until QB snaps the ball and heads up field. Wide out did not reset himself.

I flagged the play. Referee told me to wave it off because the Fullback had reset himself and remained set for one second before the snap. Comment please.

No. All players must set for one second.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

VA Official Mon Sep 04, 2017 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyd (Post 1008959)

Once the FB moved, the motion became a shift, which means all moving players must come set for one second prior to the snap. The R shouldn't have waived this illegal shift.

Rich Mon Sep 04, 2017 07:45pm

Just another referee who thinks it's OK to play dictator on the field.

You were right.

(If the RB mistimed the snap, the R should've flagged a FST and been done with it.)

JRutledge Mon Sep 04, 2017 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1008962)
Just another referee who thinks it's OK to play dictator on the field.

You were right.

(If the RB mistimed the snap, the R should've flagged a FST and been done with it.)

Which I would have done. Shut it down.

Peace

tomes1978 Tue Sep 05, 2017 09:13pm

Sounds like it was a false start....but at least am illegal shift

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Gary V Wed Sep 20, 2017 02:06am

foul

Do not kill this play as it is just an illegal shift (under NCAA rules)

Rich Wed Sep 20, 2017 07:29am

A mistimed snap is always going to be a FST. Shut it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ajmc Wed Sep 20, 2017 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1009258)
A mistimed snap is always going to be a FST. Shut it down.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely agree, in NFHS shut it down as a FST.

InsideTheStripe Wed Sep 20, 2017 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary V (Post 1009256)
Do not kill this play as it is just an illegal shift (under NCAA rules)

I'm killing this under NCAA rules, too. A mistimed snap is an FST regardless of code.