The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Punt Formation (https://forum.officiating.com/football/102885-punt-formation.html)

mrerrl Mon Aug 28, 2017 08:06am

Punt Formation

How deep does a punter have to be in order to receive protection as a punter.
Thanks

smileyh Mon Aug 28, 2017 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerrl (Post 1008880)
How deep does a punter have to be in order to receive protection as a punter.
Thanks

10 yards.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

smileyh Mon Aug 28, 2017 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyh (Post 1008881)
10 yards.

Oops! Answered to fast. 10 yards is required for a scrimmage kick formation, which affords the snapper protection. A kicker is always protected unless it is not reasonably certain a kick will be made.

VA Official Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyh (Post 1008882)
Oops! Answered to fast. 10 yards is required for a scrimmage kick formation, which affords the snapper protection. A kicker is always protected unless it is not reasonably certain a kick will be made.

A scrimmage kick formation can be one of two things: 1. a player with a knee on the ground 7 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage in position to be a holder, and another player 3 yards or less behind that player in a position to attempt a kick; 2. a player 10 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage in position to receive the snap.

#1 is often used on a FG while #2 is often used on a punt, but both can be used for either situation. In order for a kicker to be afforded protection, they must kick the ball legally.

smileyh Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA Official (Post 1008883)
A scrimmage kick formation can be one of two things: 1. a player in position with the knee on the ground 7 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage in position to be a holder, and another player 3 yards or less behind that player in a position to attempt a kick; 2. a player 10 or more yards behind the line of scrimmage in position to receive the snap.

#1 is often used on a FG while #2 is often used on a punt, but both can be used for either situation. In order for a kicker to be afforded protection, they must kick the ball legally. In order to do so, they must be in one of these two formations.

No. You can legally kick the ball without being in a scrimmage kick formation. A "quick kick" is a legal kick.

VA Official Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by smileyh (Post 1008884)
No. You can legally kick the ball without being in a scrimmage kick formation. A "quick kick" is a legal kick.

You're right. NFHS 6-2-1. This is rule creep getting me from LL. Scrimmage kick formation only matters for numbering exceptions.

smileyh Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:30pm

And snapper protection.

HLin NC Mon Aug 28, 2017 01:56pm

Formation has nothing to do with kicker protection, no matter what Virginia says.

VA Official Mon Aug 28, 2017 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1008887)
Formation has nothing to do with kicker protection, no matter what Virginia says.

Virginia corrected itself. Rule creep happens. Apologies.

BktBallRef Mon Aug 28, 2017 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA Official (Post 1008891)
Virginia corrected itself. Rule creep happens. Apologies.

LOL!

Every kicker is provided protection, no matter what. If he runs and kicks the ball while on the run, the defense is given greater consideration. If the contact is avoidable, it's roughing. If it's unavoidable because he didn't know if a kick would be made, it's legal contact.