The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the proper procedure during an injury timeout in our association. Some officials advise a team that they are to remain in the huddle, and cannot go over to the coach on the sidelines. These officials feel this is their timeout for the speciifc purpose of an inury, and for game control purposes, the teams should be ready to go on the field as soon as the injured player is removed. Others feel, that since there is no alleged rule or procedure specifically addressing the handling of the timeout, that this no different than a charged timeout nor is it any different than players going over to the sideline between plays. They feel that as long as the team is aware play will start with or without them on the whistle, they should be allowed to go to the sideline and converse with the coach during the timeout.

Please give me your input as well as any federation rules, case book scenarios or manual procedures that supports your point of view.

Thanks.

Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

The time-out itself is an officials' time for care of the injured player.

All other players should be cleared from the area in order that medical personnel can work without being hindered. Consult NFHS 2002 & 2003 Officials Manual page 44 for proper procedure.

I personally treat the timeout as an officials' timeout meaning no coaching is allowed. NFHS has offered some guidance in this area with water break coverage.

If the injury is serious enough to require medical personnel beyond the trainer and/or one doctor I declare the field belongs to the officiating crew and send teams off to the sideline without regard for number of players, subs, etc.

If players are on the sideline, I wait until all medical equipment and personnel are clear of the field before bringing the teams back on. Realizing that there may be some concern by teammates and opponents alike, I try to be sensitive and not rush the start of play.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Yopu can't prevent the players from going NEAR the sideline. However, they can't leave the field. Also, the coach shouldn't be allowed to come onto the field to converse with the team. This is true whether the team comes near the sideline or remains in the middle of the field. The wing officials have to police these situations.

It's definitely different than a charged TO. 3-5-2 addresses charged TOs. 3-5-7 addresses officials' TOs. 3-5-8 addresses when an authorized TO may occur duringan officials' TO.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
I agree- this is not a charged time out. Conference privledges do not exist. The easiest way to remember when a team has conference privledges is to remember that they can only conference when the time out is timed. (charged, after a try, between periods.

Dont let the players leave the field (they may go near the sideline- you cant do anything about that) and the coaches cannot conference with players.

One important suggestion: This is an emotional time, when a player is hurt. The officials should get clear of the injured player and STEAR CLEAR OF COACHES.

It is really easy for a coach to take a verbal pot shot at an offical if that official in in the proximity of the injured player- especially if the coach believes that the injury was the result of an illegal act.

Dont put yourself in the situation of having to deal with (and possible penalize) a coach who is in the process of dealing with an injured player.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Hinrichs
Dont let the players leave the field (they may go near the sideline- you cant do anything about that) and the coaches cannot conference with players.

One important suggestion: This is an emotional time, when a player is hurt. The officials should get clear of the injured player and STEAR CLEAR OF COACHES.

Like you say this is an emotional time for players and coaches. I say don't worry about players and coaches conferencing as some of that may be to soothe a player who may be emotional.

Try to move players as far away from injured player as possible, in fact, the NFHS Officials Manual recommends "Direct players and coaches toward respective team bench area."
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

When a player is injured I (or any member of the crew) will declare an official's time out and call for the trainer. We will remove both sets of players from the vicinity. I, as R, will monitor the progress of trainer/MD with the injured player. If there will be an extended time out I will allow the players to go off the field. I always allow water at this time. If the players want to go to hte sidelines to confier with coaches they have the same privledges as bewteen downs. My wingmen will monitor this conference. As soon as the trainer starts to move the player I acll the teams back, but will not blow the RFP until he is safely off the field.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it's an official's time out, and unless it's going to be a long delay to wait on an ambulance, keep the players on the field. But there is nothing that prevents all the players from going near the team bench and talking to the coach.

It's just the coach that can not come onto the field to coach the players.

I tell the players, stay on the field, but if they go close to their team bench, no big deal. Also, on a warm day, water is very appopriate to get in for the other players.
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with those that suggest the team can come to the sideline to confer with coaches and must stay on the field. Also, Coach must stay off the field.

Wing guys MUST oversee this. As a wing, I proactively tell the coach and the players at the beginning of the timeout:

1) Coaches must remain off field
2) Players must remain on field
3) When the player is attended to and off the field, we're ready to go. You need to be ready to go.
4) I will remain in the area to let you know when it's time to get back to the ball.

I see a large number of wing guys not take this responsibility seriously during an injury timeout. They wander to the middle of the field or look the other way as coaches pour onto the field on their sideline. It looks bad and is unfair to the team across the field that is playing by the rules.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Wink

This situation is obviously between downs.

Case Book p. 74 INJURED PLAYER-CONFERENCE 9.8.1 SITUATION H: During an official's time-out for injury, may a player(s) of either team go near the sideline to communicate with the coach?

RULING: YES. This is a period between downs. If a coach enters the field to attend the injured player, he may not confer with players. (9-8-1f Note)

9-8-1f Note in the Rules Book states: NOTE: Between downs, communications between players and coaches near the sideline are NOT an UNAUTHORIZED conference.

Hope this helps.