The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

High school game, K punts the ball, (legal scrimmage kick) a) R muffs the kick, b)R returns punt, or c) R returns punt and there is a penalty during the return by R, in all cases R fumbles and K revcovers. You are awarding a new series to K, do you start the clock on the snap?? I looks like it under 3-4-3, but I am having a small debate over it with another official. I wish there was case play for this.

Thanks for all you help and input!
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

"New series awarded to either team after a legal kick..." start on the snap.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

On a new series following a legal kick, start on the snap (3-4-3c). This applies to all your situation.

Rich
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Start the clock on the snap. Rule 3-4-3c: either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick.

Here is another one. B intercepts A's pass, during the return, B fumbles, A recovers and is downed inbounds. Does the clock start on the ready or the snap?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

on the snap, because technically B earned a new series, then a got it back...that is my justification anyway, after a change of possesion, always start on the snap...or at least that is MHO
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
on the snap, because technically B earned a new series, then a got it back...that is my justification anyway, after a change of possesion, always start on the snap...or at least that is MHO
That logic could get you in trouble... If the ball were intercepted, then turned back over to A, the clock should technically start on the RFP...

The clock starts on the snap when B is awarded a new series, but in this case, B is never awarded a series because they fumbled it away...
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I don't disagree with what you are saying piggskin, as a matter of fact your position is pretty defensible..but consider this..Why does the clock start on the snap when A recovers a punt that was touched first by B...Here is my logic to it, there has been a change of possesion, when A kicked it they gave up possesion then got it back via a muff or fumble that they recovered....if you agree with that logic then the fumbled interception is not that much different?? any thoughts...anyone??
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't disagree with what you are saying piggskin, as a matter of fact your position is pretty defensible..but consider this..Why does the clock start on the snap when A recovers a punt that was touched first by B...Here is my logic to it, there has been a change of possesion, when A kicked it they gave up possesion then got it back via a muff or fumble that they recovered....if you agree with that logic then the fumbled interception is not that much different?? any thoughts...anyone??
K does not really give up possession in such a play. They may intend to, but in reality they are in possession all along. While it has probably never happened in modern football, A could legally kick the ball with the intent of not giving up possession. Obviously it's risky and is probably not going to happen, but K1 could intentionally punt the ball sideways to "wideout" K2 who catches the ball behind the NZ and advances for a FD. Here K never intended to give up possession, the kick never crossed the NZ, R never touched it, yet the clock will start on the snap since a team has been awarded a new series following a legal kick (I know that's totally "out there," but if this were a pass instead of a kick, the clock would start on the ready if the play ended in bounds, even though the intent of both is the same).
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

PSU, yep totally out there but in this discussion, very relevant....on the interception, fumble, recovery with A ending up with the ball, when do you start the clock, RFP or snap...I am beginning to have doubts LOL..I was always taught, change of possesion, start on the snap, and we definitely have a COP...
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

New Two Minute Drill

PSU: I think you've come up with a new way of running the two minute drill... Don't say it too loud or coach will try to implement it...

cmathews: I think it's important to differentiate between the layman's description and the rulebook's description... That is:
"Clock stops when there is a turnover" (Layman's words)
vs.
"Clock stops when B is awarded a new series" (Rulebook's words, somewhat paraphrased)

Punts are different because the book (3-4-3c) explicitly handles legal kicks differently...

Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: New Two Minute Drill

Quote:
Originally posted by PiggSkin
"Clock stops when there is a turnover" (Layman's words)
vs.
"Clock stops when B is awarded a new series" (Rulebook's words, somewhat paraphrased)
And B is awarded a new series if they are in possession at the end of the down (i.e. if they get the ball during the down and then turn it over again, they are never really awarded a new series)...Rule 5-1-3b.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PSU, yep totally out there but in this discussion, very relevant....on the interception, fumble, recovery with A ending up with the ball, when do you start the clock, RFP or snap...I am beginning to have doubts LOL..I was always taught, change of possesion, start on the snap, and we definitely have a COP...
Ususally On a change of posession play, B or K is in posession when the down ends. However on this play, there were two changes of posession, B's interception and A's recovery of the fumble, but there was not a legal kick nor was B awarded a new series, so by rule the clock starts on the ready. It is not a change of posession that causes the clock to start on the snap - it is because there was a legal kick or B in posession when the down ends.

This play occured in a game that I was R in a few years ago. 3 of my crew thought I was wrong to start the clock on the ready and one thought I was correct but was not sure. We had a Supervisor (Scout) at the game and he thought I was correct.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree on this, start the clock on the ready after the interception followed by the fumble. It seems like a play that is likely to happen ever once in awhile, I can't NFHS hasn't made a note in the rule on this or a the very least a casebook play.

Old Sat Sep 27, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron_B
I agree on this, start the clock on the ready after the interception followed by the fumble. It seems like a play that is likely to happen ever once in awhile, I can't NFHS hasn't made a note in the rule on this or a the very least a casebook play.

It happened in my game last night. We talked about the play briefly during pre-game conference. R started clok on ready.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2003, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack015
Quote:
Ususally On a change of posession play, B or K is in posession when the down ends. However on this play, there were two changes of posession, B's interception and A's recovery of the fumble, but there was not a legal kick nor was B awarded a new series, so by rule the clock starts on the ready. It is not a change of posession that causes the clock to start on the snap - it is because there was a legal kick or B in posession when the down ends.
But what would you do if when A got the ball back was tackled OOB, ran OOB, or recovered the fumble in their EZ for a touchback? When does the clock start for these?
I would say that they all start on the snap as the action that ended the previous play also stopped the clock.