The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS - umpire signals 11 men on with outstretched arm closed fist. play is a middle screen. pass is completed. umpire has moved forward to LOS and as ball carrier passes him he gives the same signal - outstretched arm /closed fist . Is this to tell WH the man is passed LOS ?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

I've rarely have seen an NF level umpire do that. However, I do see college level umpires to that for this reason. It tells you (if you see him) that a pass was completed behind the NZ.
Therefore, if were thinking about tossing a flag for ineligibles downfield or OPI in your area of the field, than don't bother as that pass did not cross the NZ.

You still can toss it, but in the discussion the fact that the pass was completed behind the NZ will come out and the flag waved off.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I will start to use this...

This seems like a good umpire mechanic to me. I will start to use this to assist the wing officials. Currently I've been reading pass block on the snap, moving to the line of scrimmage, and then making a mental note of where the receiver catches the ball.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2003, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

good mechanic

This signal, while to help the wing guys know that there can't be DPI or inelgibles downfield ( I doubt many wing guys see it anyway) is a good mechanic for making sure the U, especially novice U's, gets to the LOS on passes.

Old Sat Sep 27, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I think this is a great mechanic. I am going to pregame it next week. Last night I thought a screen pass was beyond the LOS but could not tell for sure , so I did not flag it. This would help alot in those stituations.

Thanks!!!