The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Alabama Two Players with Same Number

Alabama QB is #2 and looks like they have a CB on the defensive side also #2. Guessing that is legal??
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes, because they are not playing at the same time. And I doubt a QB and CB are playing special teams as well.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:31pm
TODO: creative title here

You can have multiple players with the same number as long as they aren't on the field at the same time (true for both NCAA and FED). Heck, my college team had 140ish players, so some number duplication was necessary. Usually it was a upperclassman on one side of the ball and an underclassman on the other side. I think we might've occasionally had three players with the same number.

NCAA added an additional restriction a couple of years ago that two players who play the same position cannot have the same number. (so, you can't have a left-handed QB #2 and a right-handed QB #2). Of course, "same position" isn't completely clearly defined, much to my chagrin.

No clue if the NFL has a similar restriction or not, but given the limited roster size, I'd guess it's not really an issue for NFL teams.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 09:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
You can have multiple players with the same number as long as they aren't on the field at the same time (true for both NCAA and FED). Heck, my college team had 140ish players, so some number duplication was necessary. Usually it was a upperclassman on one side of the ball and an underclassman on the other side. I think we might've occasionally had three players with the same number.

NCAA added an additional restriction a couple of years ago that two players who play the same position cannot have the same number. (so, you can't have a left-handed QB #2 and a right-handed QB #2). Of course, "same position" isn't completely clearly defined, much to my chagrin.

No clue if the NFL has a similar restriction or not, but given the limited roster size, I'd guess it's not really an issue for NFL teams.
Yeah, the NFL really does not have this problem. Only 53 roster players and with even retired numbers and more numbers used for receivers I am pretty sure there are no duplicates even on the roster.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
my college team had 140ish players
Why?
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 03:59pm
TODO: creative title here

Private D-III school, with a no-cut policy. If 140 kids want to be on the football team, why not?

According to their current roster, this year they had 125 players (including 3 of them wearing #3, a Senior DB, a Junior WR, and a Freshman DB)

We didn't travel that many for away games (conference policy, I think, limited it to something like 54 players for the visiting team).

It does make the sideline a bit crowded at home games though.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Had a game this year where the team's starting QB was #15. At the goal line, they would bring in a wildcat RB, also #15 to take the direct snap. We did not allow that to happen (was brought to our attention at pregame by opposing coach).
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Why?
Short memory, sir.

Wasn't that long ago (pre-scholarship limit ... say late 70's) that almost every college suited up well over 100 for home games. They didn't all travel, and most didn't play.

But I do remember noticing that teams like Oklahoma and Texas would have trouble not running up the score on road games because they travelled way less players, but for home games, you could put in the 5th string and it would start looking somewhat competitive.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:50am
Chain of Fools

Many of the major D1 programs push a 100 on the roster. Between that and retired numbers being common in college, they have to duplicate some numbers.

Prior to scholarship limits, big time programs would stash players on their roster to keep other schools from getting them. Alabama, in particular, was notorious for handing out football scholarships to track athletes and baseball players because they could. Scholarship limits have dispersed the talent pool in this era.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Short memory, sir.

Wasn't that long ago (pre-scholarship limit ... say late 70's) that almost every college suited up well over 100 for home games. They didn't all travel, and most didn't play.
I'd've asked them why too.