The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Alabama Two Players with Same Number (https://forum.officiating.com/football/102070-alabama-two-players-same-number.html)

IUgrad92 Mon Jan 09, 2017 09:04pm

Alabama Two Players with Same Number

Alabama QB is #2 and looks like they have a CB on the defensive side also #2. Guessing that is legal??

JRutledge Mon Jan 09, 2017 09:08pm

Yes, because they are not playing at the same time. And I doubt a QB and CB are playing special teams as well.

Peace

jTheUmp Mon Jan 09, 2017 09:31pm

You can have multiple players with the same number as long as they aren't on the field at the same time (true for both NCAA and FED). Heck, my college team had 140ish players, so some number duplication was necessary. Usually it was a upperclassman on one side of the ball and an underclassman on the other side. I think we might've occasionally had three players with the same number.

NCAA added an additional restriction a couple of years ago that two players who play the same position cannot have the same number. (so, you can't have a left-handed QB #2 and a right-handed QB #2). Of course, "same position" isn't completely clearly defined, much to my chagrin.

No clue if the NFL has a similar restriction or not, but given the limited roster size, I'd guess it's not really an issue for NFL teams.

JRutledge Mon Jan 09, 2017 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 996811)
You can have multiple players with the same number as long as they aren't on the field at the same time (true for both NCAA and FED). Heck, my college team had 140ish players, so some number duplication was necessary. Usually it was a upperclassman on one side of the ball and an underclassman on the other side. I think we might've occasionally had three players with the same number.

NCAA added an additional restriction a couple of years ago that two players who play the same position cannot have the same number. (so, you can't have a left-handed QB #2 and a right-handed QB #2). Of course, "same position" isn't completely clearly defined, much to my chagrin.

No clue if the NFL has a similar restriction or not, but given the limited roster size, I'd guess it's not really an issue for NFL teams.

Yeah, the NFL really does not have this problem. Only 53 roster players and with even retired numbers and more numbers used for receivers I am pretty sure there are no duplicates even on the roster.

Peace

Robert Goodman Tue Jan 10, 2017 01:42pm

Quote:

my college team had 140ish players

Why?

jTheUmp Tue Jan 10, 2017 03:59pm

Private D-III school, with a no-cut policy. If 140 kids want to be on the football team, why not?

According to their current roster, this year they had 125 players (including 3 of them wearing #3, a Senior DB, a Junior WR, and a Freshman DB)

We didn't travel that many for away games (conference policy, I think, limited it to something like 54 players for the visiting team).

It does make the sideline a bit crowded at home games though.

bossman72 Tue Jan 10, 2017 04:45pm

Quote:

Had a game this year where the team's starting QB was #15. At the goal line, they would bring in a wildcat RB, also #15 to take the direct snap. We did not allow that to happen (was brought to our attention at pregame by opposing coach).

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 10, 2017 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 996898)
Why?

Short memory, sir.

Wasn't that long ago (pre-scholarship limit ... say late 70's) that almost every college suited up well over 100 for home games. They didn't all travel, and most didn't play.

But I do remember noticing that teams like Oklahoma and Texas would have trouble not running up the score on road games because they travelled way less players, but for home games, you could put in the 5th string and it would start looking somewhat competitive.

HLin NC Wed Jan 11, 2017 09:50am

Many of the major D1 programs push a 100 on the roster. Between that and retired numbers being common in college, they have to duplicate some numbers.

Prior to scholarship limits, big time programs would stash players on their roster to keep other schools from getting them. Alabama, in particular, was notorious for handing out football scholarships to track athletes and baseball players because they could. Scholarship limits have dispersed the talent pool in this era.

Robert Goodman Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 996987)
Short memory, sir.

Wasn't that long ago (pre-scholarship limit ... say late 70's) that almost every college suited up well over 100 for home games. They didn't all travel, and most didn't play.

I'd've asked them why too.