The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Tackles aimed at knee level

At a recent high school football game, I noticed a lot of runner's on one of the teams being hit at the knee when being tackled. The defense would drop low in front of the runner and tackle at the runner's knee level. Two players were carried off the field with knee injuries from these type of hits in this particular game. No penalties were assessed. Is this a legal hit?
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 06:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Yes it is.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlee808 View Post
At a recent high school football game, I noticed a lot of runner's on one of the teams being hit at the knee when being tackled. The defense would drop low in front of the runner and tackle at the runner's knee level. Two players were carried off the field with knee injuries from these type of hits in this particular game. No penalties were assessed. Is this a legal hit?
Yes, since 1888.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 10:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nothing special about hitting someone in a knee when the player has the ball (ball carrier). Only illegal to hit someone in the knee during certain times during blocking (legal in the Free Blocking Zone). Actually it is better for them to get hit in the knee than in the head. IJS.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

In addition, we often remind our crews to be aware of "B" (defense) taking out "cutting" lead blockers below the waist. This is a Block Below the Waist (if done without FBZ allowances) by the Defense and very dangerous as well.

In a recent game I gave the prelim signal and the B coach was waiving "decline." I then pointed to his team and he was like HUH? BBW on defense?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 03:16pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
In addition, we often remind our crews to be aware of "B" (defense) taking out "cutting" lead blockers below the waist. This is a Block Below the Waist (if done without FBZ allowances) by the Defense and very dangerous as well.
Had one of those this year. ISO play where the LB took out the lead blocker by cutting out his feet. Flag comes out, coach on my sideline says "'About time you called them for holding." He wasn't happy with the result...

And getting back to the OP, another case that is perfectly legal: tripping the runner. I've had a few cases over the years of coaches jawing about tripping should be called (and one particularly irate parent rushing the field threatening to sue us if his kid--the ball carrier--was hurt by an illegal trip).