The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

LastChance U

Was this fight ever discussed on the board?

from KC Sports Radio on Vimeo.

Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 10:58am
Do not give a damn!!

It might help if we have some context to this situation? When did this even take place?

Peace
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 11:51am
Chain of Fools

Nope.

D3 game, maybe?

The sideline guy in the jacket could have been a prospective college official (not anymore probably) or a HS official working the game to chart penalties. At my former location, our local association provided the chain crews for the local 1AA university and I think the clip man kept the penalty chart. He put his hands-on first from the video so no matter what was said he's not going to win..

Last edited by HLin NC; Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 11:54am.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Nope.

D3 game, maybe?

The sideline guy in the jacket could have been a prospective college official (not anymore probably) or a HS official working the game to chart penalties. At my former location, our local association provided the chain crews for the local 1AA university and I think the clip man kept the penalty chart. He put his hands-on first from the video so no matter what was said he's not going to win..
Yeah it is possible this is not an official, but probably is one observing or doing something to help the crew. Now I have no idea the context of this video because we do not know where or what level. So I really am at a loss as to why the coach is even approaching him that way. I do not care if he is an official or not, you get in my space that might be my only remedy. If I was an official on the game, my reaction is easy. That is why so much is unknown. When we have an official charting penalties, they are not in any part of the uniform at any lower level college or high school level. I cannot speak for this situation as there seems to be some coverage of this confrontation. I know I would have as the wing official put that coach in his place.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Junior College football in Mississippi. The guy on the sideline was saying something to the officials on the field, the coach told him to let the field guys handle it. Chaos erupts. On Netflix "Last Chance U"
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuphloyd View Post
Junior College football
That is all I needed to know. Thanks.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 01:54pm
Chain of Fools

The wing had an NCAA or CFO patch on his sleeve, that is why I thought D3. When I did chains, we wore the socks and knickers, a white shirt, and the conference logo hat.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
The wing had an NCAA or CFO patch on his sleeve, that is why I thought D3.
Many of us that work in the CFO (Here that is the Alliance that is under the Big Ten umbrella with the MAC, Missouri Valley or other D3 football in the area), also work NAIA or JUCO in certain circumstances. I do not change my shirt or we do not change our shirt because it is technically not a CFO umbrella game.

The guy in the black jacket probably was an official and needed to show more restraint overall considering his role in the situation. But just because you run up on someone, they might not be professional to you and the coach was out of line telling him anything about what he was doing or saying to the official. For one even if he is there, his role and responsibility is to the crew, not the coach. It is like the coach telling a crew member, "That is not your call to make." Well he has no idea what my role is most of the time and needs to stay in his place talking to someone about what they are supposed to be doing. I do not see officials telling coaches what play to call or who is responsible for substitutions. That is not the coach's role here at all.

I'm just sayin....

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Aug 08, 2016 at 02:04pm.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2016, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Two wrongs never equals a "right" and the second "wrong" doesn't absolve the first one. If the fool with the beard was actually a coach, he was totally and unbelievably WRONG and started the whole thing.

That doesn't excuse the "official" in the black jacket from overreacting, although there's no telling what the fool said, that prompted the excessive reaction. Then to chase him onto the field WHILE THE BALL WAS ALIVE is incredible.

Stupid is, as STUPID does, and this fool needs to spend a lot of time in the locker room picking up and cleaning towels before he's allowed anywhere near an active sideline during a game or embarrassing himself in front of players.

"Self Control" is something we're all responsible for when we grow up.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

My bad for not giving more info...

As was said previously this was a juco game in Missississippi. Coach served a two game suspension and not sure what happened to the official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

The guy in the black jacket probably was an official and needed to show more restraint overall considering his role in the situation. But just because you run up on someone, they might not be professional to you and the coach was out of line telling him anything about what he was doing or saying to the official.
IMO the official in the black jacket had no business telling the coach to backup/get off the field. He's showing up his line judge who was right there. Then to get in a verbal fight with the coach which results in a physical altercation is something that should result in immediate termination.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Article on the aftermath...

EMCC’s Stephens suspended two games | Sports | meridianstar.com
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 10:19am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
IMO the official in the black jacket had no business telling the coach to backup/get off the field. He's showing up his line judge who was right there. Then to get in a verbal fight with the coach which results in a physical altercation is something that should result in immediate termination.
I've no idea what he told the coach. Any problems he had as an ancillary official with team personnel, he should have addressed with the wing official he was shadowing. I imagine if he was an actual official at that level, he no longer is. If he was a helper, I'm betting he no longer helps.

I was glad to read that the coach accepted responsibility, that's rare these days.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Unless I hear that was the result, I am not convinced that is what happened to that "official." Seen many things in my years that you would think ends the opportunities of someone only to have them bounce back. I would never recommend this being done by anyone, but I would not be surprised if he works in the future. What I am sure is the case, there is a better procedure or standard of what those "officials" are to do on the sideline and probably something from the school or conference on what their role actually is and how the officials and coaches will interact in the future.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu4scott View Post
Well that depends on the role of that person and what they are there to do as a part of the crew. When the bigger levels have an alternate, they are often interacting with coaches and sometimes are the people that give rules and interpretations to the coach on that sideline. Now that might be what he was asked to do on some level. I do not know and no one here seems to know a lot about this situation outside of this video. And it appeared the coach got upset with the guy in the jacket when he was talking to the official. That is not the coach's right to tell me or anyone how to interact with someone when I am not directly interfering with the play on the field. He needed to stay in his lane. And again a lot is not known as we do not know the procedures for this official that were set in place before they got into a fight.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

The official in the jacket was telling the asst. coach to get back where he belongs.

As an alternate offical I don't think that's his job to interact with coaches in that capacity.