The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 05:09pm
Small Business Owner

Do you or your associations require/request officials to keep the notes from doctor's that indicate that a player may play with a cast or injury? To see the note on the field is one thing but if anything happens to that player later regarding the previous injury, that note is our only legal protection and it may "disappear" or not be available when you need it. Legal advice to our assoc has said we should keep the note and remember to NOT allow anyone to play without it. We had a trainer maintain that the info was "privileged info" and we could not retain it. Counsel advised that "if we can see it, we can keep it."
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 05:20pm
Small Business Owner

Just for clarification!

Just for clarification, I say, If I don't get to keep the note Johnny doesn't play!
Why: Because four weeks from now when the attorneys call me from the law firm of Dewey, Cheatam & Howe and want to know if "I" allowed Johnny to play, I can safely say, "No the doctor allowed him to play and here is my proof"!
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
We had a trainer maintain that the info was "privileged info" and we could not retain it. Counsel advised that "if we can see it, we can keep it."
What is so privileged about a doctor writing a note intended for "us officials"?

Is the note the doctor write to the pharmacist privileged and the pahramcy must give the note back to the patient.

Yes, we should safeguard the note to make sure it does not fall into the hands of "you know who" whoever he is!
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Not only do we keep the letter, it must be notarized at the state association office prior to the game.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Been a while since this situaion came up, but we officials were alerted at the start of the season that a player with a cast is going to play this year.
We were reminded to check the padding and be sure to have the doctors approval letter prior to the game.

The letter presented by the coach was kept and forwarded to the chapter secretary. He keeps these "on file" along with any liability alert forms that are sent to him during the season.

As far as I can recall, this was a chapter and probably a state request to keep these letters after the rule change to allow players with casts came out. I don't think we need any NF rule change to explictly point that out. Your butt is on the line is something happens to that player as legal beagles can always point the blame your way.
Keep the letter else don't let him play.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 08:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

We were told (in WI) that the letter stays with the crew. Also, the letter must say that the cast is medically necessary for the kid to play.

We had one in week 3 and naturally, I was the first referee in their three week season to insist on keeping the copy of the note.

Rich
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Privileged? That's a new one. I'm surprised he didn't read it to you from a safe distance if it was so top-secret.

I agree with you guys - no keep / no play. They can decide, then.
Old Sat Sep 20, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I’ve inspected one this year and under instruction from my WH , I keep the note safely tucked away in my ditty-bag .