The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Doing my first varsity white hat in about a month. Other than trying to make sure I do not confuse sub varsity timing situations, I have a couple questions.

1. When the U and I go to talk to the coaches before the game, is it customary to talk to home first or visitors? I'm thinking home to find out about half time length mainly.

2. I know about asking about legally equiped players, casts, knee braces, etc, and "trick" plays they might run, any other questions I should ask the coach about concerning on field plays or players?

3. Any other tips you can think of other than a good pre- game with my crew?

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 02:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb This should help.

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Doing my first varsity white hat in about a month. Other than trying to make sure I do not confuse sub varsity timing situations, I have a couple questions.
Congradulations are in order. You should do fine. Just study the position before you get on that field. It will help you realize the little things you have to worry about.

Quote:

1. When the U and I go to talk to the coaches before the game, is it customary to talk to home first or visitors? I'm thinking home to find out about half time length mainly.
Yes, always talk to the home first for the very reason you stated. The home coach will know when the band comes out before the game and any other pregame issues that you will have to deal with when talking about coin toss. Usually the half time stuff might already be known by then if you talk to the AD. Meet with the home team coach first, so you can relay that information to the visiting coach if necessary.

Quote:

2. I know about asking about legally equiped players, casts, knee braces, etc, and "trick" plays they might run, any other questions I should ask the coach about concerning on field plays or players?
If you noticed anything wrong with the field or might be a hazard, you might inform the coach of that or have him help you get this solved. You also need to get game balls and find out who the ball boys will be as well. And you might talk about sportsmanship, but that depends on the procedures of your area, local official's association or state.

Quote:

3. Any other tips you can think of other than a good pre- game with my crew?
You might want to have the wing that is going to be on the coaches side at the pregame meeting. Gives them an opportunity to meet each other and start a repore. It can help in the long run. Also try to get on the field as early as you possibly can. It helps you relax and not rush your responsibilities. Because if something unusual or unexpected happens, you have time to think it through.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

1st of all congratulations, I'm sure you will do fine. I have a card that I laminated that is a checklist that I use to speak with the coaches. First of all I will call the AD earlier in the week to let him know what time the crew will arrive and to find out if anything special is happening at halftime and ask if it is 15 or 20 minutes.

That being said, I will speak with either coach first depending on availibility when we are ready to see them. I will present him a list of officials and their positions. I will ask the coach if everyone is legally equipped and ask if anything needs checked. Then I will ask if their are any casts, or visors (if needed the umpire will check doctor's excuse for casts and the padding, and doctor's excuse and verification letter from the principal for visor's) (Pennsylvania rule on the visor)

Then I will ask if the QB,Punter and placekicker are right or left handed.

I will ask about any unusual plays or formations and discuss them if necessary.

I will inform them on the length of halftime and tell them we will bring them to the field before and at halftime.

I will tell them the current official time

I will ask which coach is responsible for sideline control so my wings can speak with them when they come out on the field.

I will ask for the game balls, verify them and mark them and get the names of the ball boy

I will ask for the captains names and #'s and ask who they want to decide penalties.

I will ask the coach, if he knows, if they win the toss what his option will be.

PA requires that the officials read the federation sportsmanship message to captains and coaches and we will do this at this time.

I will then wish them good luck and ask if has any questions.

I hope this helps, relax and have fun. Treat it like any other game and you will do fine.

Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

You may want to ask the coach if he has any questions for you. Normally, you get a litany of, "watch their ends cutting our guys blah blah blah..." but occassionally you'll get a rules clarification question that'll make you think.

I make it a point to tell the coach that I will get information to him via the wing on his side. It may take a play in some cases as we have to administrate the game first and foremost, but he will get it. They appreciate that. (Then make sure you do it).
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Keystoneref,

That was a great checklist that you put together. I'm still years away from wearing the white hat at the varsity level, but I have worn it for a 9th grade game and most of what you have is relevant there too.

Thanks for helping all of us novices.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Seems everbody covered all bases. We have policy of having all crew member names and positions written down on a 3x5 card to give to coaches. Sucks, when one gets pissed and screams the proverbial "I WANT YOUR NAME!"...I can't get away with,"Jim Tunney, coach".....lol
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Thanks for the help. The list Keystoneref provided was better than things I have though of from time to time but never written down.
Here in Oklahoma we have the coaches sign a card on the properly equiped rule. Nice big CYA for us officials. We do the card thing as well with our names, numbers and positions. I found out about that last year when I was working a game and the coach called me James. I was like how did you know my name? He told me. I was like dang now I can't make a name up! Got him laughing. He had originally asked me why we won't let him play with 12 on the field (he had just been flagged for it). I told him "Coach your up 24-0 and it isn't the 2nd qtr yet. We should make you play with 10 for a while." Gave him a good laugh as well. Needless to say I had no problems with his sideline at all.

MN BB Ref this is my 3rd year calling and been doing WH for a year at little kid level. Push yourself to learn it. I love it so far. Some may say it is too soon for me and maybe it is, but I'm from NY originally and willing to step into it with no fear. I'll call Big Vito if I have any problems 8-)

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Cowbyfan1...

Congrats on the quick ascent to your position. I too eventually would like to be the wh, but I do know that I want to work a lot more games at the varsity level before I take on that assignment. I have worked as the wh for a few 9th grade games, and I enjoy it a great deal.

I'll keep working it and I know I'll be there.

Good luck...
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Excellent list. I would add another talking point -

Inform the coach of the rules changes from the previous year.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

and don't forget...

One more thing that all R's should be adding to their discussions with the coaches. Now that NF 9-8-1h has been clarified to specify that the coach is also responsible for the legality of any equipment used by his team (tees, balls, etc.), you might want to make sure that he attests to that as well--not just the player equipment worn by his team.