The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Timing error in NCG

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney didn't pull any punches in his disappointment with the officials' performance at the end of the first half -- and he let them know it during halftime.
Swinney berated the officials as they walked down the hallway to the locker rooms with the score against the Alabama Crimson Tide deadlocked at 14-14.
"You made me use a timeout," Swinney screamed multiple times, complaining about the last play sequence that resulted in a blocked Clemson field goal.
The clock was never stopped after Clemson's first down near the end of the half, costing the Tigers the opportunity to run another play.
Clemson's locker room is down the hallway from the officials. An animated and very agitated Swinney walked the entire way complaining to the officials.
==================================================
To be fair the clock did stop briefly as the play resulted in a first down, but then was restarted prior to the ball being spotted. My understanding is that the clock was restarted too soon and that the officials should have fixed this.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 10:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney didn't pull any punches in his disappointment with the officials' performance at the end of the first half -- and he let them know it during halftime.
Swinney berated the officials as they walked down the hallway to the locker rooms with the score against the Alabama Crimson Tide deadlocked at 14-14.
"You made me use a timeout," Swinney screamed multiple times, complaining about the last play sequence that resulted in a blocked Clemson field goal.
The clock was never stopped after Clemson's first down near the end of the half, costing the Tigers the opportunity to run another play.
Clemson's locker room is down the hallway from the officials. An animated and very agitated Swinney walked the entire way complaining to the officials.
==================================================
To be fair the clock did stop briefly as the play resulted in a first down, but then was restarted prior to the ball being spotted. My understanding is that the clock was restarted too soon and that the officials should have fixed this.

I think that Clemson just got robbed of a TD pass.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Some conferences have their Rs wind the clock more quickly than others. They've been starting the clock quickly after first downs all night.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Some conferences have their Rs wind the clock more quickly than others. They've been starting the clock quickly after first downs all night.
I think the problem was it didn't stop initially.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Clock started too soon

Clock was stopped after first down but was restarted before the ball was set for next down.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

This is something that irks my father as we watch our favorite NCAA D-III team. They stop the clock for a first down and then start it before the chains, or sometimes even the ball is spotted.

His argument is that the clock is stopped for the purpose of moving the chains. If you don't want to wait until the chains are set, just change the rule to not stop the clock at all.

Reading 3-3-2-e, it just says to start the clock on the referee's signal. It doesn't say that the ball should be ready for play, but I think most would assume it should be.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 09:58am
TODO: creative title here

We don't need to wait for the chains to be fully set... as soon as the down box is in place, we can start the clock. If we know it's 1st and 10 at the A-34, everybody knows the line-to-gain is the A-44.

My R usually waits till I spot the ball (as the U) before starting the clock, but will sometimes start it a bit earlier than that... usually in situations where it's taken an unusually long time to get the ball spotted.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

I've got to admit I did not know that the ball did not have to be ready for play for the clock to start. That's how I've always understood it and how we were taught in Texas to handle it. Time to go digging through the rules.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've only work as the R in lower level NCAA games (mainly JV games), but as long as the offense wasn't running hurry-up, I'd start the game clock once the ball was reasonably close to being spotted on an out of bounds play. The 40 second clock is already running.

It's what I see on TV, too, in a lot of conferences at the D1 level.

In HS football, I don't wait on the chains. If I have a spot on a yard line (and I always do), I know where the chains are going. I'm not waiting.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 01:04pm
TODO: creative title here

Next time you're watching a college game on TV, pay attention to how much time passes between the clock stopping on an OOB play or first down and how soon the game clock starts running again... (outside of 2 minutes in the half, of course)

In most cases, it's only about 5-7 seconds. If the R was waiting for the chains to set on a first down, it would probably take 15-20 seconds.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Reading 3-3-2-e, it just says to start the clock on the referee's signal. It doesn't say that the ball should be ready for play, but I think most would assume it should be.
To me the problem here is that by itself 3-3-2-e supports the referee starting the game clock at his discretion, however looking at it by itself ignores references in the Approved Rulings that indicate that the referee's signal should follow the ball being made ready to play (which is defined in 2-2-4 and includes the ball being placed on the ground).

All of that said, I think officiating crews at the NCAA level have been instructed to start the game clock prior to the ball being ready for play to reduce the overall time of the game. I've noticed it before this season, but it seemed more consistent this year. I can't help but think schools and coaches were made aware of this directive and in general nobody worries about it when you lose a few seconds when there are still 14 minutes to go in the first quarter. With under a minute in either half, coaches will be struck with the blown gasket Dabo style syndrome when it happens. Personally, I'd like to see something concrete to assure that it is clear when the game clock will be started and have always thought the ball actually being ready for play was the best method.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say just eliminate the clock stopping on first down and be done with it altogether
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Rogers Redding has commented on similar plays in the past. The NCAA philosophy is this: Outside of 1 minute, the clock should start quickly. Essentially once the umpire has the football and is in the general vicinity of where the ball will be spotted. Inside 1 minute, when a team is running hurry-up, the starting of the clock should be slow and deliberate. This gives the umpire time to spot the ball and get out of the way before the clock starts again.