The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 07, 2015, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Drop kick try

New NFL rules: During a try attempt (after a TD), the quarterback receives the snap from the 2 yard line. As he is unable to find a receiver open, he drop kicks the ball through the uprights. Does the score count?
Old Sat Nov 07, 2015, 09:54pm
Chain of Fools

See Doug Flutie, New England (c) 2005. Last time it was done. Hard to find an up to date NFL rulebook.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2015, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I think that the new nfl try rules say that if you choose to spot the ball at the 2 yard line and you kick a field goal, it is worth 0 points.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Part of the 2015 rule book:

Section 11 - Field Goal

A Field Goal is made by kicking the ball from the field of play through the plane of the opponents’ Goal, which is an area either between the goal posts and above the cross bar, or, if above the goal posts, between the outside edges of the goal posts. A Field Goal is made by a drop kick or a place kick from (a) on or behind the line on a play from scrimmage or (b) during a fair catch kick. See 11-4-3; 3-9-1; and 10-2-4-a.

Section 41 - Try

A Try is the attempt by a team that has scored a touchdown to add one point (by a field goal) or two points (by a touchdown) during one untimed scrimmage down (11-3).

Section 4 Field Goal
Article 1. Successful Field Goal

A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
a.The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from on or behind the line of scrimmage or from the spot of a fair catch (fair-catch kick). If a fair catch is made or awarded outside the inbound line, the spot of the kick is the nearest inbound line.
b.After the ball is kicked, it must not touch the ground or any player of the offensive team before it passes through the goal.
c.The entire ball must pass through the vertical plane of the goal, which is the area above the crossbar and between the uprights or, if above the uprights, between their outside edges. If the ball passes through the goal, and returns through the goal without striking the ground or some object or person beyond the goal, the attempt is unsuccessful.

Note: See 9-1-3 for restriction applicable to Team B formation at the snap.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Mon Nov 09, 2015 at 01:42pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 01:43pm
Chain of Fools

ARTICLE 2. RESULTS OF A TRY. During a Try, the following shall apply:
(a) If a kick results in a field goal by the offense, one point is awarded. An artificial or manufactured tee shall not be permitted
to assist in the execution of a Try-kick. (The conditions of 11-4-1 must be met.)

http://uaasnfl.blob.core.windows.net...book_final.pdf
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Part of the 2015 rule book:

Section 11 - Field Goal

A Field Goal is made by kicking the ball from the field of play through the plane of the opponents’ Goal, which is an area either between the goal posts and above the cross bar, or, if above the goal posts, between the outside edges of the goal posts. A Field Goal is made by a drop kick or a place kick from (a) on or behind the line on a play from scrimmage or (b) during a fair catch kick. See 11-4-3; 3-9-1; and 10-2-4-a.

Section 41 - Try

A Try is the attempt by a team that has scored a touchdown to add one point (by a field goal) or two points (by a touchdown) during one untimed scrimmage down (11-3).

Section 4 Field Goal
Article 1. Successful Field Goal

A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
a.The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from on or behind the line of scrimmage or from the spot of a fair catch (fair-catch kick). If a fair catch is made or awarded outside the inbound line, the spot of the kick is the nearest inbound line.
b.After the ball is kicked, it must not touch the ground or any player of the offensive team before it passes through the goal.
c.The entire ball must pass through the vertical plane of the goal, which is the area above the crossbar and between the uprights or, if above the uprights, between their outside edges. If the ball passes through the goal, and returns through the goal without striking the ground or some object or person beyond the goal, the attempt is unsuccessful.

Note: See 9-1-3 for restriction applicable to Team B formation at the snap.
Huh... this is interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL 11-3-1
The Try begins when the Referee sounds the whistle for play to start. The team that scored the touchdown shall put the ball in
play:
(a) anywhere on or between the inbound lines
(b) 15 yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try-kick
(c) two yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try by pass or run
This is the only thing that says that I can find that even suggests that kicks taken when the ball is snapped from the 2-yard-line won't score. And that inference immediately suggests another one: Passes/runs when the ball is snapped from the 15 (i.e. on a broken play) also won't score.

I'm sure that's not what is intended, nor how it will be called. But I'm kinda surprised that the NFL would have a rule written in such a piss-poor fashion.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire View Post
Huh... this is interesting:

This is the only thing that says that I can find that even suggests that kicks taken when the ball is snapped from the 2-yard-line won't score. And that inference immediately suggests another one: Passes/runs when the ball is snapped from the 15 (i.e. on a broken play) also won't score.

I'm sure that's not what is intended, nor how it will be called. But I'm kinda surprised that the NFL would have a rule written in such a piss-poor fashion.
I'm not. It's consistent with contradictions they've carried in their rules for years previously. I remember one that seemingly made a legal snap impossible, because it defined passing in terms of handling of a live ball, and required passing the ball for the snap. So the ball would've had to be live in order to be made live.

They've often piled stuff on like this without looking for the need to make conforming changes elsewhere. Sometimes when they do, they cumbersomely cross-reference the provisions instead of writing the rules in a simpler, clearer top-down manner. So they're likely to do that in this case if & when they catch the contradiction, rather than cleaning it up from scratch.