Thread: Drop kick try
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 09, 2015, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire View Post
Huh... this is interesting:

This is the only thing that says that I can find that even suggests that kicks taken when the ball is snapped from the 2-yard-line won't score. And that inference immediately suggests another one: Passes/runs when the ball is snapped from the 15 (i.e. on a broken play) also won't score.

I'm sure that's not what is intended, nor how it will be called. But I'm kinda surprised that the NFL would have a rule written in such a piss-poor fashion.
I'm not. It's consistent with contradictions they've carried in their rules for years previously. I remember one that seemingly made a legal snap impossible, because it defined passing in terms of handling of a live ball, and required passing the ball for the snap. So the ball would've had to be live in order to be made live.

They've often piled stuff on like this without looking for the need to make conforming changes elsewhere. Sometimes when they do, they cumbersomely cross-reference the provisions instead of writing the rules in a simpler, clearer top-down manner. So they're likely to do that in this case if & when they catch the contradiction, rather than cleaning it up from scratch.