The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal kick?

With 1 second left in the game team A trails by 2 points and tries a 40 yard field goal. Team B partially blocks field goal attempt and ball lands 10 yards past line of scrimmage and starts rolling toward sideline but team B player kicks ball out of bounds while still in the field of play. Is this an illegal kick by team B and if it is what is the penalty in an NCAA game?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke80 View Post
With 1 second left in the game team A trails by 2 points and tries a 40 yard field goal. Team B partially blocks field goal attempt and ball lands 10 yards past line of scrimmage and starts rolling toward sideline but team B player kicks ball out of bounds while still in the field of play. Is this an illegal kick by team B and if it is what is the penalty in an NCAA game?
It's illegal kicking of the ball, but it doesn't change the status of the ball (scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone), the penalty is immaterial & the game is over.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

How about NF? I am thinking it would be a 15 yard penalty against B from the previous spot and a replay of the down (untimed in this case).
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
It's illegal kicking of the ball, but it doesn't change the status of the ball (scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone), the penalty is immaterial & the game is over.
I'm not an NCAA rules expert but in NFHS, this illegal kick would be penalized 15 yards from the previous spot and an untimed down would be played.

I believe NCAA rules would also require an untimed down.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Nov 03, 2015 at 10:47pm.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

NCAA: This is a foul by Team B during a kick beyond the neutral zone. Because the kick goes out of bounds, Team B would next put the ball in play. It was not during a try, overtime, or a successful field goal. All the requirements for PSK are met. The penalty will be enforced from wherever the kick goes out of bounds (assuming it was not in the end zone). Team A can either decline the penalty and the game is over, or Team B will get one untimed down where they only have to take a knee.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I believe this is a situation under which the penalty would be "declined by rule". Here is my reasoning for why:

1. The illegal kicking foul would be enforced under the post-scrimmage kick enforcement procedure as it meets all of the criteria for PSK enforcement.
a. The foul didn't occur during a try, successful FG or extra period.
b. The ball had crossed the neutral zone.
c. The foul occurred prior to the end of the kick.
d. B would be next to snap the ball.
2. Under this enforcement, the situation is treated as though B was in possession of the ball at the time of the foul. As such the foul would not cause them to lose possession of the ball.

3. Under PSK enforcement, the post-scrimmage kick spot would be the basic spot and the penalty enforced from that spot. This point is more for informative purposes and not material to my line of thinking here.

4. Typically an untimed down would be required following an accepted penalty, however we have 2 scenarios that could follow and both of which show why the penalty would be declined by rule.
a. B is trailing A - an untimed down would benefit B, and not only would it be counter-intuitive to "reward" B for the illegal kick, A would without fail decline the penalty knowing the result is game over.
b. A is trailing B (the situation outlined in the OP) - while an untimed down would force B to snap the ball, I believe there isn't any intent to require B to snap the ball under these circumstances.
The aspect of this that I'm missing is the rule reference that doesn't require B to snap the ball on an untimed down. I'm pretty sure it is in there somewhere, but withstanding being wrong on that point, I think this outlines why the penalty is declined by rule in this case.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

If you're going to say that it is declined by rule, you better be able to point to that rule. There are only two situations in the NCAA code where a penalty is declined by rule. Those are on a try and in overtime. This is simple PSK enforcement and extending the period because of an accepted live ball foul.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra View Post
If you're going to say that it is declined by rule, you better be able to point to that rule. There are only two situations in the NCAA code where a penalty is declined by rule. Those are on a try and in overtime. This is simple PSK enforcement and extending the period because of an accepted live ball foul.
I don't have any problem with being wrong here. I left my interpretation open to correction and have thus been corrected. I based my assessment, in part, on the fact that I've never seen a period extended by an untimed down that was followed by the team snapping the ball just kneeling to end the game. I've seen teams kneeling during an untimed down to send a game to extra periods, but never to outright end the game during an untimed down.

Furthermore, I don't intend this to be argumentative or confrontational, but the two situations you provide aren't the only two instances in which a penalty is declined by rule. All fouls, other than personal fouls or USC fouls, by the non-scoring team during a down that ends a touchdown are declined by rule.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 11:29am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra View Post
There's another situation in NCAA where penalties are declined by rule... on a touchdown scoring play when the foul wasn't a PF or UNS.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 12:46pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I believe this is a situation under which the penalty would be "declined by rule". Here is my reasoning for why:

1. The illegal kicking foul would be enforced under the post-scrimmage kick enforcement procedure as it meets all of the criteria for PSK enforcement.
a. The foul didn't occur during a try, successful FG or extra period.
b. The ball had crossed the neutral zone.
c. The foul occurred prior to the end of the kick.
d. B would be next to snap the ball.
2. Under this enforcement, the situation is treated as though B was in possession of the ball at the time of the foul. As such the foul would not cause them to lose possession of the ball.

3. Under PSK enforcement, the post-scrimmage kick spot would be the basic spot and the penalty enforced from that spot. This point is more for informative purposes and not material to my line of thinking here.

4. Typically an untimed down would be required following an accepted penalty, however we have 2 scenarios that could follow and both of which show why the penalty would be declined by rule.
a. B is trailing A - an untimed down would benefit B, and not only would it be counter-intuitive to "reward" B for the illegal kick, A would without fail decline the penalty knowing the result is game over.
b. A is trailing B (the situation outlined in the OP) - while an untimed down would force B to snap the ball, I believe there isn't any intent to require B to snap the ball under these circumstances.
The aspect of this that I'm missing is the rule reference that doesn't require B to snap the ball on an untimed down. I'm pretty sure it is in there somewhere, but withstanding being wrong on that point, I think this outlines why the penalty is declined by rule in this case.
You're way overthinking this, Boomer.

In both NFHS and NCAA when a live ball foul is accepted and the penalty does not involve a loss of down, the period will be extended for one play if time expired during the down.

Tony wouldn't this be a PSK foul in NFHS?
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The aspect of this that I'm missing is the rule reference that doesn't require B to snap the ball on an untimed down. I'm pretty sure it is in there somewhere,
I think you're looking for 5-1, which refers to a series of downs as being awarded a team. If it's awarded, then it may be declined.

Back when the try was described as awarded, it too could be declined. However, now NCAA & Fed rules say a team "shall" put the ball in play in those situations.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tony wouldn't this be a PSK foul in NFHS?
I'm not Tony but . . . Upon further review I am thinking this may be a PSK In NFHS. It meets all the criteria:
1. Foul was by the return team (B)
2. Kick goes beyond the ENZ
3. Foul occurred between the snap and the end of the kick.
3. K/A would not be next to put the ball in play.

In this case we would enforce the 15 yard penalty from the end of the kick (the legal one) and B's ball 1/10

Am I missing something here?
Old Thu Nov 05, 2015, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I think you're looking for 5-1, which refers to a series of downs as being awarded a team. If it's awarded, then it may be declined.

Back when the try was described as awarded, it too could be declined. However, now NCAA & Fed rules say a team "shall" put the ball in play in those situations.
If I remember correctly, wasn't the change made in response to teams electing to not even attempt a try once the clock had expired due to the possibility that B could, if the margin was 1 or 2 points, win or tie the game on a returned try attempt? If so, this reasoning would logically extend to the OP and show where I was wrong.

Not to go too far down another path, but if the margin of the score 20 points instead of 2 points, would the enforcement change since the probability of A winning on a colossal mistake from B goes from minuscule down to 0% due to the greater difference in score? My hope is that A won't want any part of the untimed down and declines the penalty, but based on this thread and further reading, I think it is up to A to decline it. I could only find that a try attempt is not attempted if the points will not affect the outcome of the game. Since this isn't a try attempt, the ball would have to be put in play if the penalty is accepted even if the score differential is 20 or 50 points.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2015, 01:55am
Archaic Power Monger

There's no exception for the score. Team A would have to decline the penalty.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2015, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I remember correctly, wasn't the change made in response to teams electing to not even attempt a try once the clock had expired due to the possibility that B could, if the margin was 1 or 2 points, win or tie the game on a returned try attempt?
No, because Fed has "shall" too (w/o 2-way scoring on the try), & NCAA made that change before 2-way try scoring was instituted. I couldn't say for sure right now, but I think the wording changed in the 1930s.