Thread: Illegal kick?
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra View Post
If you're going to say that it is declined by rule, you better be able to point to that rule. There are only two situations in the NCAA code where a penalty is declined by rule. Those are on a try and in overtime. This is simple PSK enforcement and extending the period because of an accepted live ball foul.
I don't have any problem with being wrong here. I left my interpretation open to correction and have thus been corrected. I based my assessment, in part, on the fact that I've never seen a period extended by an untimed down that was followed by the team snapping the ball just kneeling to end the game. I've seen teams kneeling during an untimed down to send a game to extra periods, but never to outright end the game during an untimed down.

Furthermore, I don't intend this to be argumentative or confrontational, but the two situations you provide aren't the only two instances in which a penalty is declined by rule. All fouls, other than personal fouls or USC fouls, by the non-scoring team during a down that ends a touchdown are declined by rule.