Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 06, 2015, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
There's no exception for the score. Team A would have to decline the penalty.
Thank you for confirming my understanding of this. From a game management perspective, would you emphasize to A that accepting the penalty isn't going to have any impact on the game if it is a blow out or do you just let it go? Obviously in a close game there is always a chance of a fumbled snap or something goofy that could allow A to score to tie or win, but in a blowout I'd hate for that "something goofy" to result in an injury if the play isn't going to impact the outcome of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
No, because Fed has "shall" too (w/o 2-way scoring on the try), & NCAA made that change before 2-way try scoring was instituted. I couldn't say for sure right now, but I think the wording changed in the 1930s.
Clearly I've been grasping for straws to try to align NCAA rules with having never observed a team leading in the score snap the ball during an untimed down to extend the 4th quarter (other than a try attempt). I appreciate the explanation.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2015, 10:57am
Archaic Power Monger

In all reality, I'd probably decline the penalty for them without giving them an option. But technically they have an option. I can't see any coach worth a spit wanting to accept that when up by 20 and playing a meaningless down.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2015, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
In all reality, I'd probably decline the penalty for them without giving them an option. But technically they have an option. I can't see any coach worth a spit wanting to accept that when up by 20 and playing a meaningless down.
No, but a mean coach might do it to clear the bench to stand on the field & watch the other team take a knee. "Now you can't say I never put you in, har, har."