The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

does anyone know where I can find a 25 second/time out timer. The ones that mount on your belt and buzz at the appropriate time?? Preferably on line. Thanks in advance

Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
does anyone know where I can find a 25 second/time out timer. The ones that mount on your belt and buzz at the appropriate time?? Preferably on line. Thanks in advance

I remember Honigs.com having one a few years back. I am not sure if they still have it or not. Also, try pluspos.com. (i think that is there web address.)
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

sm_bbcoach, thanks, I tried both of those to no avail. I may try to talk to Honigs directly, but if anyone knows of someplace I would appreciate any information.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Do a search, i remeber a thread about this, and it had a website that linked to a product.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Here is the site:

http://www.grimmscientific.com/readyref1.html

I use this myself and I love the device. Takes a 9 volt battery and my battery usually lasts a full year.

However, if you have a thick belt, you may need to buy a thinner belt.

Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys...I found it after I called Honigs...
Old Wed Sep 10, 2003, 01:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Outstanding. I just ordered one. I've been looking for this for weeks -- as a regular Friday night back judge I'm tired of using my wristwatch for this.

Rich
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
The Ready Refs are cool because they have not only 25 second clock but time out clock as well.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

http://www.safootballchapter.us/dutybelt.bmp

I bought a wider belt this year and the clip on the Ready Ref was too narrow. Solution: I have several tactical duty belts and used a belt clip from one of them. You can find them at military surplus or police supply stores. The tactical duty belts are usually one size fits all. Therefore, they have two clips on them, one on each side of the belt. You fold the belt end back against itself (there is a velcro backing that causes the thing to stick in place) to reduce or enlarge the total length of the belt. Once it is folded back, these clips slip over the area where the fold is, thus ensuring it does not separate.

These clips are slightly wider than the belt itself (usually 2 - 2.5 inches). They easily remove from the belt. I took one and attached it to the clip on the Ready Ref, using..........yep, you guessed it...duct tape!!! I cut the tape in narrow pieces and wrapped it around the belt clip and the Ready Ref clip, joining the two together. Now my belt goes through the clip from the duty belt. Works great.

I guess I could have bought a narrower belt. ;-) But then my rodeo belt buckle would not have looked as nice on a narrow belt as it does on the wide one.

Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

cmathews, remember in Wyoming we use that 5 second hand count at back judge. You can still use a ready ref. However, you do need to open it up and move the variable capacator to 20 seconds, not terribly hard. I've had mine for many years, and although its now held together with black duct tape from my opening it so many times it still works perfect. I used to switch from 20 to 25 seconds when I white hatted lower levels with 4, but now I just wait 5 secs before I set it, it saves the wear on the machine.

For those of you else where, an explanation. In Wyoming, is has been mandated that the back judge give a visable 5 second count (like a basketball hand count) to warn the QB that his time is about to expire. It really works quite well, especially at the end of a game when a team is trying to kill time.

The ball is alive until it is dead -- past crew member
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 09:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The Ready Ref that showed up in my mailbox yesterday has a 20-second buzz (warning) and then a 25-second buzz. First thing I did was turn off that warning vibration, which only required me to hold in a button.

Have a game tomorrow. Wonder if my belt will fit through the loop on the back of the device. Am BJ on Friday night this week, so I'll definitely get to try it out in a game.

Rich
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Rmaris,
Yep I am aware of that. I don't work the back judge, I was just looking out here for one of ours. Thanks for the heads up.