The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I see a lot of guys wearing them and hear a lot about them. As you guess, I don't wear them. But what am I missing?
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

I wear them. White for football, black for basketball, and full-length gray ones for baseball.

I find it gives me more support in the thighs and also gives me more support in another way

Also, it eliminates any of the potential chafing from the pants. I wear long socks in basketball, long socks in football (obviously), and tights in baseball so very little of the pant legs ever contact my skin.

I'd feel quite naked without them.

Rich
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

I wear them mainly to keep my shirt firmly tucked in AND to keep the stripes from showing through my knickers.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 10:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've tried the tucking-the-shirt-into the compression shorts thing, and it just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

I buy the premium knickers from Honig's, and it seems to conceal most of the stripes showing through.

Looking at the weather forecast for tonight, though, I'd better hope that they're waterproof

Rich
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I also wear them both to give some extra support, and to keep my stripes from showing through. I don't necessarily like to tuck my shirt into my compression shorts, but our state high school association has told us we will be docked for having our stripes show if they are evaluating us for State Tournament games.

For what its worth...
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
I see a lot of guys wearing them and hear a lot about them. As you guess, I don't wear them. But what am I missing?
Besides the benefit of helping to keep your stripes from showing through, itÂ’s been proven that they help in athletic performance . TheyÂ’ve also been shown to enhance stamina and prevent injures. Something to do with activating the nerve endings. I never leave home without them
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

I wear the ankle length McDavid Black pants. The white can be seen way too easily under my pants, so I like the black color instead. I always tuck my shirt in the McDavids and works well for me.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I wear 'em to keep the stripes from showing. They also seem to wick away the moisture, cuts down on the funk.

They also keep my guys from thwapping against the legs when I run
Old Fri Sep 12, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

My motivation started back in high school. Because of the shape and size of my thighs my inner thighs rubbed together and could become quite painful. Tights or whatever you want to call them worked very well to stop this. My current pair are Bike compression shorts and I have been using them for about 9 years. I play about 20 softball games and work 30 to 40 football games a year in them so they are quite durable. They work very well for me and if you have problems with pulled quads or hamstrings then these will provide some help.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I find the compression shorts do a several things:
1. They wick moisture away. This helps keep you cool when it's hot and warmer when it's cold. I usuually pair the shorts with a no sleeves/short sleeves, or long sleeve top that is the same material. The moisture-wicking mechanism really helps.
2. They tend to "massage" your legs as you walk/run - and helps prevent the quad and hamstring pulls. I wear white shorts (to just above the knees) for most of the year. When it gets colder I switch to a black ankle-length pair.
3. They tend to eliminate chaffing on the inside of your thighs.
Bottom line is I wear them for every game. I don't tuck my shirt in them (or I haven't yet). I plan to try that at my JV game on Monday. Sounds uncomfortable, but I'll give it a try. Covering up the stripes would certainly look better.

Oh, yeah, and the support, for the guys in the middle, is very good.