The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Blocking a defensive player on the ground

We have a situation where A4 is an offensive tackle blocking B60 in the box. B60 falls forward to the ground and A4 uses his hands to keep B60 on the ground but does not fall on B60.

B60 becomes angry and as he rises up after the pass is away, picks up A4 with his hands around his thighs, turns a slams A4 on his head.

No foul was called on the play for whatever reason. The act resulted in A4 having a strained neck and most likely will be out 2 - 4 weeks.

B60 was suspended 2 games. Here is the question, B60's team is actually defending him stating what A4 did somehow instigated this act of aggression by holding down B60 and not allowing him to return to his feet. In my opinion, this is appalling. Any thoughts as to how anyone else would feel about this situation?
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 09:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Do you have video? Until then everything said is pure speculation.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 09:35am
TODO: creative title here

(If A4 is an offensive tackle, you've probably got an illegal numbering foul, but I'll assume for the purposes of discussion that he was actually wearing a legal number)

Based on your description, no foul was committed by A. B60 committed a personal foul, and a potentially flagrant one at that, depending on the severity of the action. Again, based on your description, I'd be leaning towards flagrant.

Why it wasn't flagged on the field is anyone's guess. In a 4- or 5- person crew, it's possible that none of the officials saw it happen, depending on what else was going on at the time (QB being hit just after the throw drawing R's attention, umpire having to turn on a throw over the middle, etc).

Couldn't care less about how Team B feels about the situation, personally.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 11:24am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
(If A4 is an offensive tackle, you've probably got an illegal numbering foul, but I'll assume for the purposes of discussion that he was actually wearing a legal number)

Based on your description, no foul was committed by A. B60 committed a personal foul, and a potentially flagrant one at that, depending on the severity of the action. Again, based on your description, I'd be leaning towards flagrant.

Why it wasn't flagged on the field is anyone's guess. In a 4- or 5- person crew, it's possible that none of the officials saw it happen, depending on what else was going on at the time (QB being hit just after the throw drawing R's attention, umpire having to turn on a throw over the middle, etc).

Couldn't care less about how Team B feels about the situation, personally.
We officiate to the next threat -- only so many eyes and so many officials. Someone blocked to the ground? I'm moving to the next competitive matchup / threat.

When they give us 11 officials, we'll watch all 11 players all the time.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We officiate to the next threat -- only so many eyes and so many officials. Someone blocked to the ground? I'm moving to the next competitive matchup / threat.

When they give us 11 officials, we'll watch all 11 players all the time.
I might be watching them for a while longer after they go to the ground, but not very much longer unless there seems like they have stopped playing football. But even with that being said, we often get the second reaction. Players and coaches need to realize this and not think their reaction is going to go unpunished.

I threw out a player in a college game a couple of weeks ago and I only called what I saw. I could not make up the first action even when I was told that the player was reacting. And even the video did not show up what I saw. If the player does not want a penalty, then behave as if you are always being watched. Your reaction is not justified because something is done to you. It does not work that way.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 03:56pm
TODO: creative title here

A phrase I've used several times in various forms, to both coaches and players:

Don't make me have to make a decision about if your actions are a foul or not... because you might not like the decision I make.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2015, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I might be watching them for a while longer after they go to the ground, but not very much longer unless there seems like they have stopped playing football. But even with that being said, we often get the second reaction. Players and coaches need to realize this and not think their reaction is going to go unpunished. Peace
We've been catching the "2nd guy" for over 100 years, you'd think coaching would have adjusted to teach their players, "Don't be the 2nd guy".