The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   WNBA Follies ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99941-wnba-follies.html)

BillyMac Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:08pm

WNBA Follies ...

And one?

WNBA Refs Award Made Basket For Shot That Clearly Did Not Enter Basket

ODog Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:42pm

Wow. Too late to correct in high school.

Not sure about other rule sets, but apparently WNBA is similar to NFHS on this one.

BillyMac Sun Jul 05, 2015 02:21pm

Very Embarrassing Situation ...

Three, top notch, professional, basketball, officials, and nobody saw the ball not go in?

I shouldn't be too hard on these guys. A few years ago, in two person game, as the trail, I had a foul from behind against a player in the act of shooting, in the lane. My partner, the lead, also had a whistle a split second after mine, and the foul resulted in crash, and a lot of bodies lying in the lane area. In the time it took me to figure out who was going to report the foul, (my partner), and if anybody was seriously hurt on the floor (they were not), I failed to observe if the ball went in the hoop, as did my partner. We had to ask the crew at the table if the ball went in (it did).

Rich Sun Jul 05, 2015 02:27pm

As an official, this doesn't surprise me a bit. Usually we have something more important to watch than the ball.

BillyMac Sun Jul 05, 2015 03:18pm

Ball Watching Is A No No (Sometimes) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 964515)
Usually we have something more important to watch than the ball.

Let's not overstate this, and confuse rookie officials. We do have to watch for basket interference, goaltending, the ball going out of bounds, and whether, or not, the ball goes in the basket. Watching the ball may not be, better yet, is not, the most important thing that we look for, but it should be somewhere on the list, even if it's on the bottom of the list. In my embarrassing example above, I had two higher priorities than watching the ball, but at least we knew that nobody saw the ball go in the basket, or not go in the basket, so we sought help (the table) to get it right.

AremRed Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:46am

I know the WNBA has been experimenting with ways to make their game more exciting but I think this is going a little overboard. :D

JRutledge Mon Jul 06, 2015 02:55am

We must keep in mind that a partner told the calling official that the ball went in the basket. I put this mostly on one person on the crew more than anyone.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Jul 06, 2015 03:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 964527)
We must keep in mind that a partner told the calling official that the ball went in the basket. I put this mostly on one person on the crew more than anyone.

He did stop and ask the T before counting the goal.
The Trail is official #26.

crosscountry55 Mon Jul 06, 2015 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 964529)

Yup. T provided information, which leaves him solely responsible for the error. He will probably face a significant fine, or maybe even a brief suspension. Not sure why/if he thought he was sure. If he wasn't, all he had to do was say, "Dude, I'm not sure; let's check the monitor."

Unfortunate situation. But a teachable moment for all sides. For the officials, it's don't be in a rush, and if you're not sure, say so. For the Atlanta coaches, especially the assistants, you have to recognize this so you can speak up and get a timeout to address the CE. They missed their window of opportunity.

AremRed Mon Jul 06, 2015 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 964531)
He will probably face a significant fine

WNBA officials get fined for missing calls?? :eek: Ok gotta make sure to avoid working that league.

crosscountry55 Mon Jul 06, 2015 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 964532)
WNBA officials get fined for missing calls?? :eek: Ok gotta make sure to avoid working that league.

In the NBA, you get fined if you kick a rule, and that includes procedural errors. I would imagine the WNBA has a similar process for its officials in the CBA with the union.

The world of professional officiating is a lot different than the world of independently contracted officiating.

AremRed Mon Jul 06, 2015 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 964533)
In the NBA, you get fined if you kick a rule, and that includes procedural errors. I would imagine the WNBA has a similar process for its officials in the CBA with the union.

The world of professional officiating is a lot different than the world of independently contracted officiating.

Do you have a source?

JRutledge Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 964529)

It looks like the T went to him, but either way he was given erroneous information. The L had bodies on the floor and his attention was there.

Peace

Raymond Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 964534)
Do you have a source?

Donnie Vaden, Zach Zarba, and Bob Delaney are 3 I've heard it from this year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

APG Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 964537)
Donnie Vaden, Zach Zarba, and Bob Delaney are 3 I've heard it from this year.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Can confirm, heard the same thing as BNR.

Also, WNBA rules do not allow the officials to go to the replay to decide if a shot went in or not.