The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   WNBA Follies ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99941-wnba-follies.html)

AremRed Mon Jul 06, 2015 01:49pm

How much do they get fined?

crosscountry55 Mon Jul 06, 2015 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 964542)
Have heard the same thing...

Also, WNBA rules do not allow the officials to go to the replay to decide if a shot went in or not.

Interesting. Maybe this episode will cause the rules committee to reconsider that.

In that case, if you're not sure, swallow your pride and ask the table for help. This is why it's good to introduce yourself to table personnel before the game, and make them feel empowered to help. You never know when you might need them to help bail you out. On a shot, on identifying the fouler or shooter, etc.

Nevadaref Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:39pm

More than ten years ago was the last time that I chatted with an NBA official about the fines for "kicking" a rule. The fine was $1,000.

Other comments on this situation: the foul call should have been a charge, if the calling official hadn't been exaggerating his signals so much perhaps he would have seen the ball not enter the basket, perhaps if the NBA/WNBA shifted the focus of its hiring process for officials from physical look to mental acumen more calls would be proper and fewer of these errors would occur.

JRutledge Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:54pm

The official in question is an NCAA Men's Tournament official. So you are going to have to explain what acumen he would need to have any more than that background?

He was just given erroneous information. And I do recall that many people debated with me how the lead should never look up some years ago. I agree that he should have seen this play, but based on many conversations there are people that believe he should be focusing only on players on the floor, which he appeared to have done.

Peace

AremRed Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 964569)
the foul call should have been a charge

Restricted area.

Nevadaref Tue Jul 07, 2015 01:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 964573)
Restricted area.

Thought of that already. Don't believe that it had anything to do with the call as the official never gives any indication by pointing to the arc/floor area.

Certainly not an expert in pro rules as I don't work those contests, but I also can't believe that the RA would apply under the conditions of this play. (an offensive rebound is obtained with the defender already inside the arc)

Camron Rust Tue Jul 07, 2015 02:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 964569)
Other comments on this situation: the foul call should have been a charge,

No it shouldn't have been. The defender moved forward and to the side into contact with an airborne shooter.

Nevadaref Tue Jul 07, 2015 03:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 964575)
No it shouldn't have been. The defender moved forward and to the side into contact with an airborne shooter.

And I see an offensive player jumping into a defender at about a 60 degree angle. I also don't believe that the player had released the ball prior to the contact, but I'm not going to rewatch the video to be certain.

We can have a difference of opinion on the block/charge call. Officials are vastly different in their thresholds for movement by a defender on these plays, so rarely would there be more than a 70% agreement on such a collision anyway.

What is not an opinion is that the ball didn't go in and the crew mishandled that.
Another poster brought up the importance of observing the two players on the ground who just collided and are now tangled or on top of one another. I agree with his point and even think watching them to be more important than seeing the ball. (Still not a fan of the theatrical mechanics to oversell the call and believe that it contributes to the lack of focus causing the basket to be incorrectly counted.) Either the C or T can get the flight of the ball. But as seen in this crew, perhaps not!

Raymond Tue Jul 07, 2015 06:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 964546)
How much do they get fined?

I wasn't given a chart.

JetMetFan Wed Jul 08, 2015 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 964542)
Can confirm, heard the same thing as BNR.

Also, WNBA rules do not allow the officials to go to the replay to decide if a shot went in or not.

...otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't have happened.

But as a teaching moment, we can also ask the table officials and - worst-case scenario - surreptitiously ask the players if he ball went in. It's not by the book but you try to do anything you need to do to get it right.

AremRed Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 964574)
Thought of that already. Don't believe that it had anything to do with the call as the official never gives any indication by pointing to the arc/floor area.

Certainly not an expert in pro rules as I don't work those contests, but I also can't believe that the RA would apply under the conditions of this play. (an offensive rebound is obtained with the defender already inside the arc)

You are right we did not see the official point to the RA but the camera does cut away just after the official finishes the block signal. Perhaps he felt it was a block anyway and didn't need to point?

I'm curious about the LDB aspect too....I though the LDB only applies to a player who receives a pass within the box, not just any ball received within the LDB. Perhaps APG can enlighten us?

JetMetFan Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 964677)
I'm curious about the LDB aspect too....I thought the LDB only applies to a player who receives a pass within the box, not just any ball received within the LDB. Perhaps APG can enlighten us?

If the offensive player receives a pass within the LDB or starts their move to the basket within the LDB, the LDB is off and the RA restrictions do not apply.

APG Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:58am

RA is not in play here...play originates in the LDB off the rebound.