The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAW Rule Change Proposals

Rules committee recommends moving women’s basketball games to four-quarter format | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

I like the ideas, especially the removal of some media timeouts.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 03:29pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I like the idea of the 4 quarters, and removing some of the media timeouts. Not a huge fan of the "Advancing the ball" change. Not really sure why right now, just my initial gut reaction.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I can go either way with advancing the ball. I understand the logic, though. When the game clock is under a certain number - usually 6 seconds - women's teams really don't seem to be able to go the length of the court to get a decent last-second shot. This adds offense which is what they want. From what I understand, coaches weren't thrilled with the idea because it essentially penalizes them for taking/holding a lead.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I am not a fan of the idea of advancing the ball. I am sure there may be other instances of this that I cannot think of currently, but when else is a team penalized without committing any infractions? I say penalized since the team that is able to advance the ball is certainly given an advantage.

The only thing that comes close in my mind is the jump ball procedure, but that could at least be argued that the team with possession should not have put the ball in position to be held. Advancing the ball is just too gimmicky for my taste.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Rule proposals

I don't like the "advance the ball" rule, but I understand why they may like it.

I don't like the 10 second count not resetting. I don't see an advantage to it, and the number of times it will be messed up at the table will be troubling.

The most interesting to me is 2 shots on the 5th foul of each qtr. I like this change. It "should" help the flow of the game in the last 10 min (now the 4th qtr) and by reducing the number of free throws where boxing out is needed, should reduce the opportunity for rough play.

It may not work as hoped, but I would like to see how it works.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
I don't like the "advance the ball" rule, but I understand why they may like it.

I don't like the 10 second count not resetting. I don't see an advantage to it, and the number of times it will be messed up at the table will be troubling.

The most interesting to me is 2 shots on the 5th foul of each qtr. I like this change. It "should" help the flow of the game in the last 10 min (now the 4th qtr) and by reducing the number of free throws where boxing out is needed, should reduce the opportunity for rough play.

It may not work as hoped, but I would like to see how it works.
I've heard eliminating some of the physicality is one of the reasons behind the two-shot rule as opposed to going to one-and-one (the very old NFHS rule).

Not resetting the 10-second count rewards the defense. There shouldn't be an issue with the shot-clock since nothing changes for the operator (assuming the shot-clock was above 25 when the throw-in was made in the backcourt). Whistle blows, stop clock. Done. It'll actually be more of an issue on possessions which start with under 30.0 on the game clock since we're required to have a visible count. I can see someone forgetting their number every now and then - though all they'd have to do is go to the play-by-play if they forgot.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

I like all of them. Hope they all pass and that the men follow suit. For all intents and purpose, makes for a flow more like an NBA game. Little over 2 hours, 2.5 hours at most. better flow and faster games. Any reduction of timeouts is a good thing at NCAA level.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I like the idea of the 4 quarters, and removing some of the media timeouts. Not a huge fan of the "Advancing the ball" change. Not really sure why right now, just my initial gut reaction.
Since hey add a quarter break, which is really just a long(er) media timeout, it's not really much of a difference.
Old Fri May 15, 2015, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since hey add a quarter break, which is really just a long(er) media timeout, it's not really much of a difference.
From what I was told at one of my camps the changes add up to a game that's 5-10 minutes shorter. The quarter break - in theory - would be the same as the media timeout break. That means one fewer media timeout in each half. Lopping off a timeout cuts down time as well.

The idea is to make the games fit into a two-hour window, which is what the networks want.
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 01:18pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Not a huge fan of the "Advancing the ball" change.
Here's an idea for football: If offense has the ball in its own half, that team can call a time-out, and automatically move the ball to the opponent's 40.

Dumb idea, right? Same goes for basketball. You have to earn that spot on the floor.

I like most of these other rule changes, though. I'd like NFHS to try five fouls per quarter to reach a two-shot bonus. The only confusion I foresee is the table holding up five fingers, and you'd have to clarify whether it's the fifth team or player foul. (Maybe two fingers is the best solution, under the circumstances.)

BTW, my son is a pep-band drummer in college, and LOVES the idea of loosening the rules on when bands can play.
Old Sat May 16, 2015, 10:02pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Here's an idea for football: If offense has the ball in its own half, that team can call a time-out, and automatically move the ball to the opponent's 40.

Dumb idea, right?
Uh, no. I think your idea for football is amazing and the NFL should totally implement that.
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 12:23am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
From what I was told at one of my camps the changes add up to a game that's 5-10 minutes shorter. The quarter break - in theory - would be the same as the media timeout break. That means one fewer media timeout in each half. Lopping off a timeout cuts down time as well.

The idea is to make the games fit into a two-hour window, which is what the networks want.
Why a quarter break, though? Just have a media TO at the first stoppage under 10.

Having 2 extra last second shots doesn't help the game.

I've been advocating going to halves in the HS game for years, and now NCAAW is going to go away from them.
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why a quarter break, though? Just have a media TO at the first stoppage under 10.

I've been advocating going to halves in the HS game for years, and now NCAAW is going to go away from them.
First stoppage under 10:00 is fine but...that first stoppage might not come until 9:00. Or 8:00. Or 7:00. I'm speculating here but this way guarantees the coaches and the networks know when it's coming.
Old Sun May 17, 2015, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

This has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating. The NCAAW changes seem to have as much to do with aligning the rules with FIBA as they do with speeding up the game. There seems to be a feeling that the women's game is generally a good product right now, and so they can afford to make some more finesse adjustments in their effort to make the game more internationally appealing. Although when they widen the lane, then I'll really be impressed.

The men's game obviously has more pressing issues right now, and besides, I don't think there's any inclination to make men's game more international. If anything, they'd like to make it more NBAish.
Old Tue May 19, 2015, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Although when they widen the lane, then I'll really be impressed.
From what I understand coaches weren't thrilled with this idea, though it was proposed. Regardless, it might have been tough to implement. Schools would have complained about re-doing their floors since many of them resurface their courts before PROP approves rule changes. That's what held up the RA.