The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

HOU vs LAC

Nearing the end of the 2nd Qtr...

Why are they not calling INT on off-ball fouls? Seems pretty textbook to me and no different than the "hack-a-Shaq" plan from days long ago.

I forgot why I quit watching the NBA (yes, even the playoffs).......and within 2 minutes, I was starkly reminded.
All the worlds great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, liberty to abundance, abundance to complacency, complacency to apathy, apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle; for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:34am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed2You View Post
Nearing the end of the 2nd Qtr...

Why are they not calling INT on off-ball fouls? Seems pretty textbook to me and no different than the "hack-a-Shaq" plan from days long ago.

I forgot why I quit watching the NBA (yes, even the playoffs).......and within 2 minutes, I was starkly reminded.
Are you asking why they are not calling an Intentional foul as in the NFHS Intentional foul where you get two shots and the ball or are you asking why they were not calling an intentional foul when they were trying the Hack-a-Shaq on DeAndre Jordan?

In case you haven't heard, intentionally fouling a poor FT shooter is legal outside of two minutes.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed2You View Post

There is no such thing as an intentional foul under NBA rules
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 11, 2015, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

There seems to be a "movement" among sevaral talking heads to make the Hack-a-Shaq strategy against the rules. While it seems stupid to say "Since some of these professionals who are paid millions a year because of their skills have a glaring hole in their game we are making it against the rules to foul them when they don't have the ball" I can see their point. One, there is some evidence that TV share points drop when this starts because the game turns into a FT shooting contest (would you watch an extra-point kicking contest in the NFL?). Second, it really doesn't make sense to have one set of rules for 46 minutes and a second set of rules for 2 minutes.

Personally, I think they should eliminate the change during the last two minutes. Make these "athletes" fix the hole in their game or force to HC to decide if their defensive skills more than make up for the offensive weakness.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Fouling a playeer without that ball to stop the clock and make a team shoot free throws rather then get to run clock and have an offensive possession. (OK for first 38 minutes)

Fouling a player with the ball to stop the clock and make a team shoot free throws rather then get to run clock and have an offensive possession.
(OK for first 38 minutes and last 2 minutes)

Fouling a player without the ball to stop the clock and make a team shoot free throws rather then get to run clock and have an offensive possession.
(Not ok for the last 2 minutes)

This combo of rules seems non sensical. If you want to ensure the ball is in play in any of those scenarios so some time has to tick of the clock that is one thing. But once its in play how is it different?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

There was a pretty funny play, I believe in the 2nd Q, where the trail and slot both missed the intentional foul on DJ and the lead had to run onto the court and call it as Austin Rivers was driving for a layup. You could hear Doc Rivers arguing with Marc Davis that they should get the basket because AR was already in the air. Got to love how Doc just makes stuff up.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 04:17pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJOfficial View Post
There was a pretty funny play, I believe in the 2nd Q, where the trail and slot both missed the intentional foul on DJ and the lead had to run onto the court and call it as Austin Rivers was driving for a layup. You could hear Doc Rivers arguing with Marc Davis that they should get the basket because AR was already in the air. Got to love how Doc just makes stuff up.
Making stuff up? Sounds like continuation to me.