The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99482-jump-ball.html)

CoachP Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:20pm

Jump ball

Start of district play last night boys varsity. A1 and B1 go up for the opening jump. Official, IMO, tosses ball a little higher than should have. Ultimately, both players wiff. Ball hits floor and B1 catches it off the bounce. Non jump official blows violation on B1.

Correct call? Yes, but would a re-jump ever come into consideration on a play like that?

(and p.s. I am A1's coach, so I benefited.)

Adam Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 957598)
Start of district play last night boys varsity. A1 and B1 go up for the opening jump. Official, IMO, tosses ball a little higher than should have. Ultimately, both players wiff. Ball hits floor and B1 catches it off the bounce. Non jump official blows violation on B1.

Correct call? Yes, but would a re-jump ever come into consideration on a play like that?

(and p.s. I am A1's coach, so I benefited.)

Not the correct call. If the ball hits the floor before either jumper touches it, then it's a re-jump by rule.

Robert E. Harrison Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:37pm

I thought the jump ball ends when the ball hits the floor.

Rob1968 Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison (Post 957602)
I thought the jump ball ends when the ball hits the floor.

4-28-2 . . .The jump ball begins when the ball leaves the official's hand(s) and ends when the touched ball contacts a nonjumper, the floor, a basket or backboard. (italics added)

6-3-6 . . . The tossed ball must be touched by one or both of the jumpers after it reaches its highest point. If the ball contacts the floor without being touched by at least one of the jumpers, the referee shall toss it again. (italics added)

Robert E. Harrison Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:50pm

My point exactly, how can there be a violation?

CoachP Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:55pm

Ahh...maybe one or all the officials thought the ball hit one or both of the jumpers while on the way down? I know for sure the ball hit the floor, but I guess it would be real easy for the ball to hit a player on the way down?

All I noticed was the bounce....

Robert E. Harrison Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:56pm

All it had to do was touch one of the jumpers.

Adam Thu Mar 12, 2015 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 957607)
Ahh...maybe one or all the officials thought the ball hit one or both of the jumpers while on the way down? I know for sure the ball hit the floor, but I guess it would be real easy for the ball to hit a player on the way down?

All I noticed was the bounce....

Assuming one of the jumpers hit the ball, it's not a violation for one of them to grab it after it bounces. Play on, although many would do a rejump even in that case.

In no way is this a violation, though.

CoachP Thu Mar 12, 2015 02:45pm

So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches nobody on the way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = Re jump?

So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches A1 on way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = No violation, play ball?

Adam Thu Mar 12, 2015 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 957613)
So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches nobody on the way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = Re jump?

So if both A1 and B1 wiff, ball touches A1 on way down, ball bounces off floor, A1 grabs. = No violation, play ball?

Correct, by rule.

Although a lot of officials will rejump in your second scenario if the official tosses it too high. I wouldn't, but I know quite a few who would.

jpgc99 Thu Mar 12, 2015 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 957613)

Correct. For what it's worth, I find it off that the toss would not touch either player on the way down without it being an extremely poor throw (not just too high, but off center, too). Yes it is possible, but hard to imagine.

BillyMac Thu Mar 12, 2015 03:57pm

No More Peach Baskets ...

Flip a damn coin, or give it to the visitors.

crosscountry55 Thu Mar 12, 2015 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 957620)
Correct. For what it's worth, I find it off that the toss would not touch either player on the way down without it being an extremely poor throw (not just too high, but off center, too). Yes it is possible, but hard to imagine.

Imagine it. I had it happen exactly like that earlier this year. Same thing, i.e. toss was too high and the jumpers just mis-timed it. I was not the R. :D So I called it back and we had a re-jump. No big deal.