The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Advice

I was asked by a friend to "help out" officiating a men's league he has put together -- I agreed. I watched this Sunday as a spectator (my son played on it, college season over) and was impressed with how everyone handled themselves. Currently there are no men's league basketball in our area due to S&$*# that always occurs and I feel that impacted how players behaved. I also believe that as the league moves on they may revert back to being As^$& . My friend started the first game of the league with a quick speech " We will let you play a bit, especially in the paint BUT if anyone thinks about swinging a fist they are gone and if they swing they are gone and the police will be called. I talked with him yesterday and asked how the rest of the games went and he said he had one team start complaining so .......he stopped the game asked them if they wanted to play(keep playing but mouth shut) or complain (immediate forfeit).

I feel he has a good "handle on things " but looking for any other "rules" you have seen that help with the BS.

Thanks

RefK
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I was asked by a friend to "help out" officiating a men's league he has put together -- I agreed. I watched this Sunday as a spectator (my son played on it, college season over) and was impressed with how everyone handled themselves. Currently there are no men's league basketball in our area due to S&$*# that always occurs and I feel that impacted how players behaved. I also believe that as the league moves on they may revert back to being As^$& . My friend started the first game of the league with a quick speech " We will let you play a bit, especially in the paint BUT if anyone thinks about swinging a fist they are gone and if they swing they are gone and the police will be called. I talked with him yesterday and asked how the rest of the games went and he said he had one team start complaining so .......he stopped the game asked them if they wanted to play(keep playing but mouth shut) or complain (immediate forfeit).

I feel he has a good "handle on things " but looking for any other "rules" you have seen that help with the BS.

Thanks

RefK
You can do it his way, but he's going to carry more weight since it's his league. Another way is just to call the technical fouls when they start complaining. Sounds like he'll back you.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I can't offer much advice except that I retired from all adult leagues about 8-10 years ago. I also limit my offseason work to tournaments only of HS/college level.

Wreck leagues IMO are awful, and not worth the price of admission for what you have to deal with. I'm yet to find one that proves me wrong.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Having played in a couple of adult leagues, my advice would be: only do it if you are going to take the games seriously.

The worst stuff I saw in games came when it was a apparent that the ref was mailing it in -- guys that looked like they knew what they should be doing but were just there for the $ and didn't care if they were doing a good job. They always seemed surprised when a game (which they seemed to consider beneath them) spriraled out of control.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 02:06pm
In Time Out

I've been lucky doing adult leagues that have run fairly smoothly. A few blowups but nothing major. The worst refs I've seen are the ones who are doing it a lot. They are clearly getting worn out and are totally dogging it. There was this elite league I was doing, with very high quality ball, so the games were running fine because the players know what to do, but I was shocked that some of the refs were not even bothering crossing half court on many occasions. Just asking for trouble if things went south. 3 games max per day and probably 9 in a week. But scheduling can be tough for those leagues as a lot of regular refs don't want to do them.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2015, 03:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistency ...

I haven't done these types of games (in my case, this was a high school recreation league, with kids that didn't make the high school team, or didn't want to play on the high school team) in fifteen years, but when I did, I didn't lower my "scholastic" standards one iota. I worked these games twice a week when I was available (back then, Mondays, and Wednesdays, weren't big scholastic basketball nights), and only worked with a few guys who shared my high standards.

If the league is going to use many different officials, then that could create problems when one official let's them get away with murder, and a few nights later another official comes in and wants the game officiated with higher standards. Consistency is important.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 11, 2015, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the pointers..............

I am not charging the league for my services because the team's entry fees go to a local youth sports group and my friend wants to keep costs down if possible. He is paying for officials but looked to me and my partner to help if possible.

Thanks again

Refk
Old Wed Mar 11, 2015, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

work hard and call it tight. you take more shit from teams when you let someone get hacked without a call. If they deserve it, you can loosen up as the game goes on but always set the tone by staying tight early.
Old Thu Mar 12, 2015, 02:50am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
work hard and call it tight. you take more shit from teams when you let someone get hacked without a call. If they deserve it, you can loosen up as the game goes on but always set the tone by staying tight early.
I'd second that. I recently worked some intramural championship at a local college. The 'B' league game was terrible, dude couldn't play through shit. We should have called that a lot tighter. The 'A' league game was much better and we could call it closer to a high school or college game.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for Adult League - Call It tight!!

I've refereed 4-men's leagues and currently am doing 3. I have set up leagues. The officials and rules are the most important.

Over 50% of the referees I have hired I had to let go. You have 10 adults on the floor. Your referees MUST treat them ALL like coaches. Explain your calls to them when needed. Call them tight. We call them like I do my high school games by strict NFHS rules. No hand-checking!! We often hear the old saying, "Let them play!" Trust me, THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Quick rules you will need.
1. $25 re-instatement fee for anybody kicked-out of a game.
2. All technical, flagrant & intentional fouls are automatic 2-points and the ball. Don't shoot the free-throws. This has cut down a lot of BS in our games.
3. Quick sub time-out. If a team has possession of the ball in their backcourt
and no defensive pressure. The can call "sub-time" and both teams can put in subs then.

Our league has been very successful and it has grown so that I have to turn teams away. Players tell us they enjoy playing. Last year we had 50 games and only one "Technical Foul" for unsporting behavior. These players aren't saints. I hear many of them are whiners and hellions in other leagues. The main thing is to get referees that make good calls and treat the players like adults.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2015, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers..............

I am not charging the league for my services because the team's entry fees go to a local youth sports group and my friend wants to keep costs down if possible. He is paying for officials but looked to me and my partner to help if possible.

Thanks again

Refk
I suggest you be paid for your work, and then make a donation to the local youth sports group. Donating your time, talents, experience and efforts will most likely be taken for granted by the participants, sooner or later.
Then, the nonsense you put up with, in the adult league, will wear thin, and your feeling of dignity in the work you do on the floor, will not be sufficient compensation. By being paid for the games you do, and then choosing to donate your pay, you will be in control of your emotional involvement. JMHO
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I finished my first weekend with Mens' league and overall was pleasantly surprised how it went. I used many of the suggestions given here and it was effective. I called it relatively tight to start with, very decisive and loud with the whistle. I explained calls if asked but did not put up with whining, if it started they got ...... "guys I don't put up with questioning every call so don't." Honestly, had zero problems the first two games and they were actually pretty fun. The last game was not much fun ( easily killed the fun I had in first games) --- both teams tired and my partner (runs the league) was tired.

Towards end of game, one team was really getting mouthy so while administering FT I get both teams together to discuss. I told both teams "I'm done with any questioning of calls and any further comments by a player and you will be assessed a technical, period". The comments stopped until the last minute of 2 point game when my partner gave player T for questioning a call. I think it really sent a message because you could have heard a pin drop the rest of the game.

So.......... a big thanks for the advice : I went ahead and took pay for officiating then donated part of it back and part of it went for my son's fee. I am going to pass on the rules suggestions as I think they will help. I talked with league admin and he felt by having " real refs" the games went much, much better. He is now trying to recruit local officials in addition to my self so there is more consistency in calls. I told him as long as he "backed us " then he shouldn't have any probelms.

There is so much interest in the league I think it will be continued next year . Unfortunately, there are no men's leagues anywhere close to our area ( due to players being a&#@, and nobody will officiate).

Thanks again

RefK
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 01:48pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
I told him as long as he "backed us " then he shouldn't have any probelms.
I'd add "pay us appropriately" to the list of things that will help him not have any problems.

Backing from the league administration is absolutely necessary... but if he's paying $10/game he's not going to get good officials.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

He just contacted me asking for any officials I knew that might be interested. He's paying 25/game so we will see if it's worth it to anyone else besides me (I'm donating back). His intentions are good, so we will see if he can get anyone or raise his rate.

Thanks again,

Refk
Old Tue Mar 17, 2015, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

T early, and T often to T less.

My advice for wreck ball.