The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Blarge (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99295-blarge.html)

The_Rookie Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:44pm

Blarge

R1 calls a block on B1 and R2 calls Player Control Foul on A1 airborne shooter. Double personal foul called.

1) If the basket is good..do we count the basket?

2) Use AP for subsequent throw in?

NFHS

AremRed Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 954659)
R1 calls a block on B1 and R2 calls Player Control Foul on A1 airborne shooter. Double personal foul called.

NFHS

Assuming the ball was released before contact, count the basket and resume at POI which is team B endline throw-in.

bballref3966 Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 954660)
Assuming the ball was released before contact, count the basket and resume at POI which is team B endline throw-in.

Remember that an airborne shooter has released the ball, by definition.

JRutledge Thu Feb 12, 2015 01:12am

Quote:

Yes the basket counts. This is not a PC by definition, it is a double foul.

Quote:

Not unless the shot is missed. Otherwise it is POI give the ball to B on the end line.

Peace

Rob1968 Thu Feb 12, 2015 02:26am

As JRut said, see Case Book 4.19.8 Sit. C.

OKREF Thu Feb 12, 2015 09:23am

Is this two man or three man mechanics? Here we have two man, every game I work we pregame this specific scenario, if we have a double whistle and the ball is in the lane the lead always takes it. The trail goes up with a fist and holds his preliminary signal.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 12, 2015 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 954673)
Is this two man or three man mechanics? Here we have two man, every game I work we pregame this specific scenario, if we have a double whistle and the ball is in the lane the lead always takes it. The trail goes up with a fist and holds his preliminary signal.

Of course. But, sometimes is doesn't happen the way we'd like it to happen.

Raymond Thu Feb 12, 2015 09:47am

Quote:

I believe that to be standard pregame conversation for all games, 2-man or 3-man, but it still doesn't prevent blarges from occurring.

Adam Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14am

Quote:

Pregame this all you want, but be prepared for that play where not everyone does it the way you pregamed.

BryanV21 Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:23am

My two partners earlier this year had a blarge, and they went with a charge based on the fact that it was in that official's primary.

Raymond Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 954680)
My two partners earlier this year had a blarge, and they went with a charge based on the fact that it was in that official's primary.

We can't get away with that ruling in these parts. Coaches know when we have F'ed it up, they expect us to go with the double foul.

BryanV21 Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 954681)
We can't get away with that ruling in these parts. Coaches know when we have F'ed it up, they expect us to go with the double foul.

I stayed out of the way while they sorted it out, and the one coach (who didn't get the call) wanted to know why. I didn't see any sort of argument, so I guess we got lucky.

Adam Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 954682)
I stayed out of the way while they sorted it out, and the one coach (who didn't get the call) wanted to know why. I didn't see any sort of argument, so I guess we got lucky.

You did. Around here, it would be the same as BNR's. Additionally, and this is where the real problem lies, this would get back to the assigner and would not go well.

Smitty Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:06am

Had my first ever blarge this season. It felt as crappy as you'd think it would feel. It was 3-man, I was C. Play started and finished on my side of the paint. My L didn't get the pre-game memo that C has first crack on his side. It just happened, even though we pre-gamed it. Neither coach had any idea what was supposed to happen under the circumstances, but we explained it to both. Thankfully the coaches were reasonable with the explanation and we handled it the right way. I am very hesitant to jump on a block/charge anymore, no matter which position I'm in. Don't want to have it happen again.

Adam Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 954686)
Had my first ever blarge this season. It felt as crappy as you'd think it would feel. It was 3-man, I was C. Play started and finished on my side of the paint. My L didn't get the pre-game memo that C has first crack on his side. It just happened, even though we pre-gamed it. Neither coach had any idea what was supposed to happen under the circumstances, but we explained it to both. Thankfully the coaches were reasonable with the explanation and we handled it the right way. I am very hesitant to jump on a block/charge anymore, no matter which position I'm in. Don't want to have it happen again.

Had one in a summer game a few years ago, I was gun-shy for a while after that. Not with blowing the whistle, but I was extra careful about showing my prelim.