The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:25pm
Back from the DL

T at the end of the second

A-1 hits a jumper as time expires in the second quarter (horn sounds after release, before ball enters goal). A-1 then taunts B-2.

Go.

Last edited by bainsey; Tue Feb 10, 2015 at 11:04pm. Reason: Meant end of the second QUARTER, not half.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
A-1 hits a jumper as time expires in the second half (horn sounds after release, before ball enters goal). A-1 then taunts B-2.

Go.
What's the issue? Easy whack for A1's unsporting behavior. Whether the FTs are attempted or not and as part of what period depends upon what the score is.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A-1 hits a jumper as time expires in the second half (horn sounds after release, before ball enters goal). A-1 then taunts B-2.

Go.
Player T on A1. Foul occurred after the fourth quarter ended.

If Team B are leading, the FTs for the foul are not attempted and Team B win.

If the score is tied, begin the extra period with two FTs for Team B plus throw-in.

If the score is not tied and Team A lead Team B by one or two points, two FTs are immediately awarded to Team B and counted as part of the fourth quarter. If Team B are losing by one and they make both FTs, Team B win the game. If Team B are losing by two and they miss the first FT, the game is over immediately and Team A win. If Team B manage to tie the game as a result of these FTs, we play an extra period and we begin that extra period with a jump ball.

If Team B are losing by more than two points, the FTs for the foul are not attempted and Team A win.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Devil's advocate La Rikardo. Why would ANY FT's be part of OT? Is the 4th qtr over?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Devil's advocate La Rikardo. Why would ANY FT's be part of OT? Is the 4th qtr over?
If the ball became dead before the taunt, then the 4th quarter is over and the OT starts with the T (if the score was tied).

A similar play is in RefMag this month.

Can someone find and post the NCAA ruling about this (from the mag). I remember reading it and thinking "that's not right" -- but I didn't have time to re-read ti to see if I missed part of the question.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 11:03pm
Back from the DL

I erred, and corrected it. I meant the end of the second QUARTER.

Sorry about that. Same question.

A-1 hits a jumper as time expires in the second quarter (horn sounds after release, before ball enters goal). A-1 then taunts B-2. You guys take it from here.

Last edited by bainsey; Tue Feb 10, 2015 at 11:20pm.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2015, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I erred, and corrected it. I meant the end of the second QUARTER.

Sorry about that. Same question.

A-1 hits a jumper as time expires in the second quarter (horn sounds after release, before ball enters goal). A-1 then taunts B-2. You guys take it from here.
Assuming A-1's taunt occurred after the ball entered the goal, then it occurred as part of the 3rd quarter. So you report, go to halftime, begin the 3rd with two FTs for B, then ball to B at the division line (arrow does not change).

This is unlikely, but if A-1's taunt was so fast that it occurred after the horn but before the ball entered the basket, then it occurred before the 2nd quarter had ended, and thus you'd shoot the FTs immediately as part of the 2nd. Then half, and start the 3rd with a routine AP throw-in opposite the table.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 08:13am
Certified Non-Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
A-1's taunt occurred after the ball entered the goal.
I saw this play. This is the correct situation.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I saw this play. This is the correct situation.
Then the rest of what crosscountry55 said is completely correct.
This is a rather straight forward situation.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Assuming A-1's taunt occurred after the ball entered the goal, then it occurred as part of the 3rd quarter. So you report, go to halftime, begin the 3rd with two FTs for B, then ball to B at the division line (arrow does not change).
In addition I believe A's HC is charged an indirect technical because all players are bench personnel during intermission.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
In addition I believe A's HC is charged an indirect technical because all players are bench personnel during intermission.
Good point. This raises another question: if this foul occurs after the end of the fourth quarter, but Team B trail by one or two points and we eventually play an extra period due to the points scored from the free throws, does the Team A head coach have coaching box privileges during the extra period? I'd assume not, but the foul did not occur during an intermission, and further action occurred in the fourth quarter.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2015, 07:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
Good point. This raises another question: if this foul occurs after the end of the fourth quarter, but Team B trail by one or two points and we eventually play an extra period due to the points scored from the free throws, does the Team A head coach have coaching box privileges during the extra period? I'd assume not, but the foul did not occur during an intermission, and further action occurred in the fourth quarter.
Intermissions are 60 seconds long, except for half time. If that 60 second clock isn't running yet, then it's not during an intermission.