The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Jinxed myself

Monday, partner and I had a great game ( BV barn burner), visitor down by 20 middle of 3rd and comes back to lose by 1. We are walking out after the game and somehow met both coaches. Home coach stops us and says " That was great game; you guys did a great job". We didn't give it much thought then a minute later meet the visitor Coach in the hallway and got the same response,,,, even shook our hands.

We thought "wow" we must really have done a great job. Lo and behold reality sets in the next night with a BV Coach getting the stop sign from me in the first quarter and basically went down hill from there. Last night first game (local tourney) GV coach is into me from the beginning. I've officiated her team 3 times this year and she has been nothing but nice every time. I listen to her and answer her question but a few minutes later I get the same............... I said " Coach I need you to get back in the coach's box, no response. ( She's 2 to 3 feet on the court) I then said "Coach, please get back in the coach's box and I will be glad to answer your question". She replies " I will when you start making decent calls " Whack ! She starts to say something else looks at me and decides to hold her tongue.

Later the AD of the school checks on us and says " I'm glad you Ted her, she has been hateful as soon as she got off the bus, and actually thought you were going with another T "

Question : We did jinx ourselves but......... are you seeing more frustration from coaches due to long season or are they becoming more obtuse in general ?

Thanks

Last edited by Refk; Fri Feb 06, 2015 at 09:49am.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 10:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I find the games balance out. One night you have a great game and feel super, the next night it's a train wreck. It happens.

Fortunately, I've had few issues with coaches this yr. My P's T'd and ejected a HC early in the season, but, that's the only issue I've had. Overall, they've just been coaching - thankfully.

As we get into the playoffs, the excitement and pressure ramps up, and we'll see how they handle themselves. I'll deal with it, if, and when, it happens.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
Question : We did jinx ourselves but......... are you seeing more frustration from coaches due to long season or are they becoming more obtuse in general ?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that unsporting T's rise this time of year.

The coaches are tired, the players are tired, our leashes are shorter, ....
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 10:35am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I then said "Coach, please get back in the coach's box and I will be glad to answer your question". She replies " I will when you start making decent calls " Whack !
My response would have been, "OK, here's the first one." WHACK!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

That's actually what went through my head...................... maybe I'm a bit tired as well.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eight Wins ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jerkins View Post
Anecdotal evidence suggests that unsporting T's rise this time of year. The coaches are tired, the players are tired, our leashes are shorter, ....
Here in Connecticut, teams have to win 40% of their regular season games to get an invitation to the state tournament. For most teams that's eight wins out of twenty games. Teams with five, or six, wins are trying to claw their way to eight wins by any means, and a lot of coaches will often lose their cool down the stretch.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 06, 2015 at 05:15pm.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here in Connecticut, teams have to win 40% of their regular season games to get an invitation to the state tournament. For most teams that's eight wins out of twenty games. Teams with five, or six, wins are trying to claw their way to eight wins by any means, and a lot of coaches will often lose their cool down the stretch.
Interesting model. California is a bit odd. I know one school that may go through their entire league season without winning a game, and still go to the Sectional tournament. Califormia splits schools into 5 divisions. As I unerstand it, losses to teams in a higher division don't count as losses (but wins do). so since this school is a D3 school, but all the other schools in its league are D1 or D2, the league season losses don't count, and their invite is based on their non-league schedule, including tournaments. Strange system (and strange league).

(I may have details wrong, but it is close to that.)
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Anecdotal evidence suggests that unsporting T's rise this time of year.

The coaches are tired, the players are tired, our leashes are shorter, ....
#exactamundo
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Interesting model. California is a bit odd. I know one school that may go through their entire league season without winning a game, and still go to the Sectional tournament. Califormia splits schools into 5 divisions. As I unerstand it, losses to teams in a higher division don't count as losses (but wins do). so since this school is a D3 school, but all the other schools in its league are D1 or D2, the league season losses don't count, and their invite is based on their non-league schedule, including tournaments. Strange system (and strange league).

(I may have details wrong, but it is close to that.)
Ohio, everyone goes to the playoffs in all sports but football, which is a computer ranking systems.

Things can get interesting in the Sectional Meetings, since its the vote of the coaches in that particular Sectional on who gets what seeding. Lot of strategic votes to seed a team out of your way goes on.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2015, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think everyone, coaches, players, and officials all get a bit tired and ornery at this time of year. I don't have the secret answer. There are games I look forward to and the ones in between that I wonder "why am I here". I just use the old philosophy of get in, get done, get out on those games.