The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

DSU/NCCU Video Request (ESPNU) (Video)

Please Vid Gurus,

Last play of the 2nd half, 3 point shot with 0.4 left. Fouled call.

Opinion on the call.

Also, after all the replays, I still don't see any of the officials signaling a foul.

PS: chance to see an official with facial hair on his chin.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Taking a wild stab here, I'm guessing we're talking Delaware St. vs North Carolina Coastal?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 10:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

North Carolina Central University in Durham, NC.

MEAC contest.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Please Vid Gurus,

Opinion on the call.

Also, after all the replays, I still don't see any of the officials signaling a foul.

I see the shooter realize someone is flying behind him and stick his foot back to make that defender run into it. no call. I didnt see contact up top. Saw 3 guys with the 3 signal up but no fist. How'd it end?

(i didnt catch facial hair. il'l look again for that.)
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I see the shooter realize someone is flying behind him and stick his foot back to make that defender run into it. no call. I didnt see contact up top. Saw 3 guys with the 3 signal up but no fist. How'd it end?

(i didnt catch facial hair. il'l look again for that.)
Player missed final 2 free throws, lost by 1.

Facial hair not visible in this clip.

BTW, based on subsequent free throws, I'm assuming Trail called the foul.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 27, 2015 at 12:05am.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Please Vid Gurus,

Opinion on the call.

Awful.
There absolutely is a whistle. There is not a fist in the air by anyone.
From the Trail's gestures to the teams after the horn, he must have been the one to blow the whistle because he appears to be the only one who is aware that a foul has been called.
Making this call from his position deep in the backcourt is sick. He has no angle to determine if there was contact. Turns out there wasn't anything illegal.
Furthermore, I believe that both the Lead and Center ran too far and put themselves in poor spots from which to observe a pull-up 3pt shot. With that little time remaining there is no need to run all the way down to the normal home locations for a half court set. It would be more intelligent officiating to anticipate a long shot and take a position which provides a quality look at that.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:05am
In Time Out

the center is way too far to the side.

Btw, let's say the trail called the foul and let's also say that the center was in closer and had a good look at it. Would you be ok with the center coming over and telling the trail that it wasn't a foul, rule it as an inadvertent whistle?
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Awful.
There absolutely is a whistle. There is not a fist in the air by anyone.
From the Trail's gestures to the teams after the horn, he must have been the one to blow the whistle because he appears to be the only one who is aware that a foul has been called.
Making this call from his position deep in the backcourt is sick. He has no angle to determine if there was contact. Turns out there wasn't anything illegal.
Furthermore, I believe that both the Lead and Center ran too far and put themselves in poor spots from which to observe a pull-up 3pt shot. With that little time remaining there is no need to run all the way down to the normal home locations for a half court set. It would be more intelligent officiating to anticipate a long shot and take a position which provides a quality look at that.
The trail actually has a good angle to see the contact by the defender on the shooter's leg as he was passing him by.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post

Btw, let's say the trail called the foul and let's also say that the center was in closer and had a good look at it. Would you be ok with the center coming over and telling the trail that it wasn't a foul, rule it as an inadvertent whistle?
No.

There was contact. That much is clear. Whether it was a foul or not is judgment. Neither official should be telling the other it wasn't a foul.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The trail actually has a good angle to see the contact by the defender on the shooter's leg as he was passing him by.
Agree. He was in a poor position to see if there was body contact but he had a good view of the contact that did occur.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No.

How many times in basketball have you seen another official go to another and tell them their foul call wasn't a foul (based solely on the contact alone)? I'll tell you right now, I've never seen it.

Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 01:46pm
In Time Out

different situation than here where the trail saw contact.

I was in the stands watching a game and doing the next one. Near the end, one of the D players(and a crafty one at that) did a complete flop on the inbounds play. I've seen him do it before in previous games but here the official called a foul on the offense. This was on an inbound play so the defender made liked he had been pushed off. The second official had a clear look at it and I talked to him after the game and he said he saw the flop but didn't want to come over and change the call. I'd have went over and talked to my partner about the call if I saw the play.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... I'd have went over and talked to my partner about the call if I saw the play.
Good luck with that.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
different situation than here where the trail saw contact.

I was in the stands watching a game and doing the next one. Near the end, one of the D players(and a crafty one at that) did a complete flop on the inbounds play. I've seen him do it before in previous games but here the official called a foul on the offense. This was on an inbound play so the defender made liked he had been pushed off. The second official had a clear look at it and I talked to him after the game and he said he saw the flop but didn't want to come over and change the call. I'd have went over and talked to my partner about the call if I saw the play.
Again I ask, when was the last time, in a basketball game with actual trained officials, you saw one official go to the other and try and talk him out of a foul based solely on the amount of contact?