The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Snow Postponements (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99159-snow-postponements.html)

Lcubed48 Tue Jan 27, 2015 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 952390)
School's closed here today for 1/2" of snow.....and now, at 1030, the roads are clear and everything is pretty much melted. Silly.

PS - another postponement....

Yep, it's official. Another postponement for me with clear roads after 1.5" of the white fluffy stuff.

VaTerp Tue Jan 27, 2015 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcubed48 (Post 952452)
Yep, it's official. Another postponement for me with clear roads after 1.5" of the white fluffy stuff.

I know some school administrators and know its not an easy job with tons of considerations and liability concerns.

But....... this month has been extremely frustrating as a parent and an official. The one day school should have been closed a few weeks ago in the NoVA area they opened on time. My daughters school bus actually got stuck right in front of my house, the roads were a mess, and it was a huge cluster... all the way around.

Then they overreact the other way and had several closings and delays for virtually nothing. The cancellation today is ridiculous. I had a Fr/V double header that I was looking forward to b/c it should be a competitive game with a great atmosphere and 2 coaches whose games I enjoy doing.

I will still get the game as its been rescheduled for Saturday but it will now require me to leave early from a work conference and get even less time with my family on a Saturday. All b/c of an inch of snow on the ground and roads that were basically cleared by 8am.

Again, I understand all that goes into the decision making process but there have to be ways to improve it. And I think its silly that they don't allow extra-curricular activities on days when school is closed. If the roads are bad in the morning and they feel the need to close school then fine. But when everything is clear by mid morning it is ridiculous to cause even more logistical headaches just for appearances.

Play the damn games!!!!

AremRed Tue Jan 27, 2015 04:06pm

I had nine games cancelled last season, only four so far this season thankfully.

BryanV21 Tue Jan 27, 2015 04:10pm

Coming from upstate NY (in between Rochester and Syracuse) I laugh every time it snows in Columbus, as people freak out and schools get cancelled over very little snow.

I had one snow day in all four years of high school (yes, Sheldon, it took me four years to graduate high school), and that was because a blizzard the night before dropped around four feet of snow on the ground. A truck with a v-shaped plow actually got stuck going down my road (it was fun watching it back up a hundred feet or so and ram the snow... making it go flying everywhere).

justacoach Tue Jan 27, 2015 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 952455)
I know some school administrators and know its not an easy job with tons of considerations and liability concerns.

But....... this month has been extremely frustrating as a parent and an official. The one day school should have been closed a few weeks ago in the NoVA area they opened on time. My daughters school bus actually got stuck right in front of my house, the roads were a mess, and it was a huge cluster... all the way around.

Then they overreact the other way and had several closings and delays for virtually nothing. The cancellation today is ridiculous. I had a Fr/V double header that I was looking forward to b/c it should be a competitive game with a great atmosphere and 2 coaches whose games I enjoy doing.

I will still get the game as its been rescheduled for Saturday but it will now require me to leave early from a work conference and get even less time with my family on a Saturday. All b/c of an inch of snow on the ground and roads that were basically cleared by 8am.

Again, I understand all that goes into the decision making process but there have to be ways to improve it. And I think its silly that they don't allow extra-curricular activities on days when school is closed. If the roads are bad in the morning and they feel the need to close school then fine. But when everything is clear by mid morning it is ridiculous to cause even more logistical headaches just for appearances.

Play the damn games!!!!

VaTerp, I am anything but an apologist for the FFX County school authorities but you should consider the geographic scope of FFX County and the size of the bus fleet.
Having lived here for a loooong time, I have seen clear skies near Mt Vernon on the river, a raging nor'easter past Reston, and an ice storm in Centreville.
They have not yet compartmentalized the decision making to take these differing circumstances into account.

chymechowder Tue Jan 27, 2015 08:03pm

What would've been my first varsity game was cancelled last night :(

Have to wait til next week now.

justacoach Tue Jan 27, 2015 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chymechowder (Post 952496)
What would've been my first varsity game was cancelled last night :(

Have to wait til next week now.

Another week to work on your big-timin mechanics!!
Knock 'em dead, act like you belong.....

bainsey Tue Jan 27, 2015 08:23pm

Fourth postponement (not cancellation, there's a difference) on the season was today. Had one this past Saturday, too.

My son's high school was closed today, and we just got a call it will be closed tomorrow, too. (Back-to-back days is quite rare.) Monday was an in-service day, giving the kids a five-day weekend.

bainsey Fri Jan 30, 2015 05:18pm

Today's and tomorrow's games postponed. I believe this is the most I've ever seen.

grunewar Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 952966)
I believe this is the most I've ever seen.

I had 19 postponements in 2010 due to our "snowmaggedon."

bainsey Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 952985)
I had 19 postponements in 2010 due to our "snowmaggedon."

I seem to recall that. I believe you got more snow than we did. I have family in Fairfax and Loudon counties, so I did an awful lot of snickering that winter.

Terrapins Fan Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:44am

last week I lost games on Thursday Friday and Saturday. The week before that I lost two games. I lost the game this past Thursday. Hopefully they will be made up and I will get them back.

Rich1 Sat Jan 31, 2015 06:38pm

Borrowing from BillyMac

Between Varsity, JV, middle school, and rec leagues I ref about 15 games a week and so far have had ZERO cancellations.

What? Wait! I'm being told... never mind. I work in Texas and we don't have snow that deep! It might get too damn hot around here in the summer but the winters ain't that bad.