The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 05:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Duke-UNC Women (Video)

Stopped on this game while looking for a game. It was either this or Illinois State and Northern Iowa.

4:54 first half. ESPN2.

Screen followed by a travel after the rebound.

The screen sent the UNC player into the front row. And Kantner was tapping her right leg...but it looked like the right foot dragged.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 08:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

I have an obvious illegal screen. But since I do not know NCAA-Women's mechanics, I don't know whom to assess culpability for missing the foul. In the Men's game the Lead would been responsible for that play.

And I have a travel. That pivot was dragged more than an inch.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 08:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I have an obvious illegal screen. But since I do not know NCAA-Women's mechanics, I don't know whom to assess culpability for missing the foul. In the Men's game the Lead would been responsible for that play.

And I have a travel. That pivot was dragged more than an inch.
I have no idea what they were looking at. I also do not know those mechanics either but I could see that play a mile away. Even if their mechanics are not to have the lead call this normally, this has to be called. Not sure what the official was looking at from that position.

Funny guy.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:04pm
In Time Out

should the lead have been out wider? where would you have been on that play?
I can see why if the lead is tracking the player from the side, then he misses the screener because his head turns at the same time.
trail is watching ball.
oh I see it, see the little girl(woman) she is posting up. The lead watches her for a split second.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

That's the leads call but he was too focused on the 4' girl posting up on the opposite block. Tough play in that the ball is at the top of the key so T is occupied with that competitive matchup. C should have the post action and see the cutter coming across the paint at the free throw line. L should be on the screening action. It just appeared to me that the matchup in the post got the L's attention and he just flat missed the screen and no one else could have seen it. Good talking point about coverage areas in a pre game discussion, IMO.

It was a travel. C felt she held her pivot foot by her tapping the leg mechanic.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
should the lead have been out wider? where would you have been on that play?
I can see why if the lead is tracking the player from the side, then he misses the screener because his head turns at the same time.
trail is watching ball.
oh I see it, see the little girl(woman) she is posting up. The lead watches her for a split second.
The Lead is closed down and positioning is fine. The mistake is not refereeing the competitive matchup right in front of him and focusing too much on the ball up top to see if he is going to rotate over.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
The Lead is closed down and positioning is fine. The mistake is not refereeing the competitive matchup right in front of him and focusing too much on the ball up top to see if he is going to rotate over.
I tend to agree. The simple analysis is probably the correct analysis here: the L was ball-watching for a little bit instead of using his right peripheral to gauge whether or not to rotate.

We all get caught ball watching once in a while. Unfortunate miss but it happens. Great teaching points.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 10:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I tend to agree. The simple analysis is probably the correct analysis here: the L was ball-watching for a little bit instead of using his right peripheral to gauge whether or not to rotate.

We all get caught ball watching once in a while. Unfortunate miss but it happens. Great teaching points.
I don't ask for videos often, but thought this was a good one.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't ask for videos often, but thought this was a good one.
This is a good teaching video.

One of the things I've been trying to work on this season is staying in my primary while rotating as the lead. It's easy to get caught looking at where you are going or seeing where the ball is going as the L.

In this video I think if the L does a better job of staying in his primary he is better prepared to pick up the hard cutting action with a trailing defender AND seeing the illegal screen that sends the defender flying.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2015, 12:18am
Barely $.02 cents worth

It looks like the lead went off the play and just looked back real quick when he saw the end. . .

From trail, it seems that she caught the end of it and by then, she thought it was legal and letting the coach what she thought. . .

Looks illegal.