The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:41pm
In Time Out

Semi off-topic, Referee magainze

In this month's Referee magazine, I thought there was a good article in the baseball section by Jon Bible(he's from Texas). Some of the things he says could be applied to basketball games. About being perceived as neutral
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Biblical Imprecations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Some of the things he says could be applied to basketball games.... About being perceived as neutral
I agree that Bible's encouragements are fitting for basketball "You're Being Watched", REFEREE Magazine, FEb.2015, p.28ff.). Not so much regarding the perception of neutrality, but perception generally.
In basketball, so much becomes evident about the official from what he looks like and what he is doing and/or not doing during dead ball periods, timeouts, intermissions, and in the pregame minutes. Some guys sentence themselves to idiocy and deep six their reputations by unprofessional extracurricular hijinks or unnecessary social antics during dead ball times which have nothing to do with officiating the game. Not that there isn't a time for fun and not that it's not important to smile and make it look like we want to be there. It's just that the game isn't the equivalent of a social hour nor is the court a stage for dopey referee theatrics. The game, after all, isn't about the attention able to be attracted to the official by the official.
Bible's suggestions do apply to basketball. And there are a good number of officials who could benefit from reading what he has to say. A mirror is likewise recommended for self.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jan 25, 2015 at 12:36pm.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right (Luther Ingram, 1972) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... unnecessary social antics during dead ball times which have nothing to do with officiating the game.
Friday night. Boys varsity game, eventually went into overtime. Gymnasium is standing room only. Athletic teams. Disciplined teams. Challenging, but not over the line, coaches. Good partner. Great game. Just what we all want on a Friday night.

Second half. I'm the trail (two man Connecticut). Skip pass comes from opposite side, deep in the lead's primary, so I'm not ball watching, until I see that the very hard pass is poorly thrown and is heading right toward my head. I try to get out of the way at the last split second, the pass zips, literally by inches, past my ear, into the crowd behind the sideline. Whistle, arm up, color, direction, spot, leave the area to become new lead, and my partner, the new trail, deals with getting the ball.

Few minutes later, I find myself at the same exact spot, during a timeout, holding the ball for a subsequent throwin. So I turn to the crowd and ask, "Did you guys see that ball almost take my head off? Who caught the ball? Are you alright?". Friendly banter, it only took a few seconds. We're humans, not robots. If doing this is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 25, 2015 at 01:04pm.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I agree that Bible's encouragements are fitting for basketball "You're Being Watched", REFEREE Magazine, FEb.2015, p.28ff.). Not so much regarding the perception of neutrality, but perception generally.
In basketball, so much becomes evident about the official from what he looks like and what he is doing and/or not doing during dead ball periods, timeouts, intermissions, and in the pregame minutes. Some guys sentence themselves to idiocy and deep six their reputations by unprofessional extracurricular hijinks or unnecessary social antics during dead ball times which hbave nothing to do with officiating the game. Not that there isn't a time for fun and not that it's not important to smile and make it look like we want to be there. It's just that the game isn't the equivalent of a social hour nor is the court a stage for dopey referee theatrics. The game, after all, isn't about the attention able to be attracted to the official by the official.
Bible's suggestions do apply to basketball. And there are a good number of officials who could benefit from reading what he has to say. A mirror is likewise recommended for self.
(1) Basketball isn't special.

(2) Just can't get through all this without hearing "Lighten up, Francis" in the back of my head.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 01:24pm
In Time Out

I'll continue to have a few chats here and there with the fans and players. It is more fun that way, but just leaving things short is best and doing it like your example.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well only getting part of what this article is about, I do agree that what you do can be misinterpreted. I just consider the source. Not everyone is qualified to comment on what we are doing. Just look at the ignorance that is coming out about the AFC Title game? A lot of things we do people know nothing about.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 04:38pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
(1) Basketball isn't special.

(2) Just can't get through all this without hearing "Lighten up, Francis" in the back of my head.
The stuff I occasionally see and am frustrated with I don't think you'd disagree with me on.
It's the stupid stuff, not the "I'm a normal human being" stuff.
And don't call me Francis.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And don't call me Francis.
Okay, Frances.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2015, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Few minutes later, I find myself at the same exact spot, during a timeout, holding the ball for a subsequent throwin. So I turn to the crowd and ask, "Did you guys see that ball almost take my head off? Who caught the ball? Are you alright?". Friendly banter, it only took a few seconds. We're humans, not robots. If doing this is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
I'm completely with you, Billy. It's one thing when you're supposed to be on the back of the circle during a 60-second timeout and instead go hob-nob with the 2nd district alderman sitting opposite the table. That's not cool. But a brief passing interaction when you're already where you're supposed to be? Nothin' wrong with that. Smile, chuckle, then get back to business.

I ran over an errant 3-year old kid going C to C last year. Never saw him, never had a chance. Mom didn't blame me, but I still felt horrible. Next time I was on that sideline, I looked up to make sure he and Mom were doing ok. After the game, new crew came in for the boys game. I got dressed, came out, noticed Mom and son were still there, and checked on them in person. Gave the kid an extra whistle I had. His smile was priceless. Indeed, we're humans.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 12:49pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Okay, Frances.
Hey look, I'm the one who gave the ball to that kid in the first row to hold during the timeout last Saturday.
Surely, you can't call me Frances.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 02:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Check The Pressure Of The Ball ...

Quote:
Hey look, I'm the one who gave the ball to that kid in the first row to hold during the timeout last Saturday.
I sure hope that it wasn't Tom Brady's kid.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Surely, you can't call me Frances.
I am Frances. And don't call me Shirley.