The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Rudy Gobert: Travel or not? (Video)

fwiw the nba rule is: "a player who receives the ball while moving is allowed a two count rhythm but must release the ball prior to the third step."

Is he moving when he catches the ball?

Is this a travel?

Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Two things....the language you posted is old language that is no longer in the rule book. It was changed about 5 or so years ago.

Second, no, that is not a travel under NBA rules.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

With all due respect, who cares?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
With all due respect, this is an awful attitude to have...especially with a new poster.

If you don't care, press the back button and ignore.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's at least as valid a question as "is this a BC violation?" or "is this hanging on the rim?" and it's way more likely to come up than "when does the AC become the HC?"

And, while I'm generally leery of fan-boy type questions ("I can't believe the officials missed this one travel that in and of itself caused my team to lost the game!"), I don't see much evidence of that in the question posed.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Generally when I don't know the answer to a question I consult people that know more than I do in regard to the topic at hand, the same way I go to a auto forum when I have questions about my car.

There was an argument amongst some people about whether Gobert was considered in motion when he was catching the ball.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

I was listening to this game on the radio when this dunk happened. The Jazz play-by-play guy went nuts. I've heard them play the radio highlight on that station twice so far today.

I don't know enough about NBA rules to pass judgment on the play for this particular rule set, but in NFHS and NCAA, this is a traveling violation.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, while I'm generally leery of fan-boy type questions ("I can't believe the officials missed this one travel that in and of itself caused my team to lost the game!"), I don't see much evidence of that in the question posed.
My realm is basketball analytics. I have some favorite teams to watch but consider myself generally unbiased.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malus View Post
Generally when I don't know the answer to a question I consult people that know more than I do in regard to the topic at hand, the same way I go to a auto forum when I have questions about my car.

There was an argument amongst some people about whether Gobert was considered in motion when he was catching the ball.
Ignore fullor

The language that you posted is no longer in the NBA rule book...

This is what the rule book says:

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing must release the ball to start his dribble before his second step.

The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.

The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

Now in your play, the offensive player catches the ball with his right foot on the floor. The first step comes next with the player steps with the left foot. The 2nd step then occurs when the right foot hits the floor. In this play the pivot foot is the left foot. He lifted it..so he has to either shoot or pass the ball before it returns to the floor...which he does. This play is legal under NBA rules.

Note that the play above is illegal under NFHS (high school)/NCAA rules.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 04:47pm
In Time Out

I see plays like that and I can't help but think the rim should be raised.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2015, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Ignore fullor

The language that you posted is no longer in the NBA rule book...

This is what the rule book says:

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing must release the ball to start his dribble before his second step.

The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after gaining control of the ball.

The second step occurs after the first step when the other foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

Now in your play, the offensive player catches the ball with his right foot on the floor. The first step comes next with the player steps with the left foot. The 2nd step then occurs when the right foot hits the floor. In this play the pivot foot is the left foot. He lifted it..so he has to either shoot or pass the ball before it returns to the floor...which he does. This play is legal under NBA rules.

Note that the play above is illegal under NFHS (high school)/NCAA rules.
Thanks for the detailed response.