The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   player leaves court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99110-player-leaves-court.html)

jamesshank Wed Jan 21, 2015 02:10am

player leaves court

A1 breaks a shoelace and leaves the court during a live ball...ruling?

La Rikardo Wed Jan 21, 2015 03:29am

It is a violation if a player leaves the court for an unauthorized reason. If I'm the official in this situation, I would not consider this to be an unauthorized reason. If Team A has team control and is not immediately attacking the basket, I'll probably stop play and let Team A substitute for A1.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 21, 2015 05:15am

That's not an authorized reason. Violation by the departing player.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 21, 2015 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 951373)
It is a violation if a player leaves the court for an unauthorized reason. If I'm the official in this situation, I would not consider this to be an unauthorized reason. If Team A has team control and is not immediately attacking the basket, I'll probably stop play and let Team A substitute for A1.

I am sorry but you would be wrong. Since the 1963-64 season, in both NFHS and NCAA, the Game Officials are not allowed to cause the ball to become Dead or prevent the Ball from becoming Live to allow a Player to tie his/her shoes not matter which Team has control of the Ball or if neither Team has control of the Ball. If a Player's shoe becomes untied it is the Player's responsibility to retie it. A Player or his/her HC may request a Team TO to tie his/her shoe.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 21, 2015 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Rikardo (Post 951373)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 951375)
That's not an authorized reason. Violation by the departing player.

I'll take one from column A and one from column B.

Authorized reason to leave, but no stoppage of play / no sub until the a substitution opportunity.

Adam Wed Jan 21, 2015 09:15am

I'm with bob. Although I'm likely to consider a broken shoe lace differently than one that simply comes untied.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 21, 2015 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 951403)
I'm with bob. Although I'm likely to consider a broken shoe lace differently than one that simply comes untied.

I agree that A1 stepping out of bounds to tie his/her shoe is not an unauthorized leaving of the court. The rule is to keep a player from leaving the court to deceive his opponent. Stepping off the court so as to stay out of the way of the nine other players while he kneels down to tie his shoe does not meet the standards of violating the rule.

MTD, Sr.

deecee Wed Jan 21, 2015 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 951392)
I'll take one from column A and one from column B.

Authorized reason to leave, but no stoppage of play / no sub until the a substitution opportunity.

+1. I would do this.

I'm guessing this was not a Varsity game.

so cal lurker Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:21am

On a slightly related note: A1 inbounding ball under own basket. Throws the ball to the right. Runs 15' OOB to the left, watching defenders, then turns [still OOB] and runs all the way to the right corner, comes onto the court and receives the ball. Legal?

BryanV21 Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 951420)
On a slightly related note: A1 inbounding ball under own basket. Throws the ball to the right. Runs 15' OOB to the left, watching defenders, then turns [still OOB] and runs all the way to the right corner, comes onto the court and receives the ball. Legal?

Probably not. A player has to return directly onto the court, and not in a deceptive manner... which is what this sounds like.

Although, honestly, without the rule book in front of me the semantics I've given may be wrong.

Smitty Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 951420)

You have to ask? No.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:47am

In practice we give a lot of leeway on this rule, but what you describe seems beyond that.

And, the penalty for failing to enter right away is pretty severe (more so than going OOB to make much the same moves).

See 10.3.2A

BryanV21 Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 951427)
In practice we give a lot of leeway on this rule, but what you describe seems beyond that.

And, the penalty for failing to enter right away is pretty severe (more so than going OOB to make much the same moves).

See 10.3.2A

I don't see a 10.3.2A. I mean, there's no "A". Sounds like this is a player technical.

so cal lurker Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 951426)
You have to ask? No.

I didn't think it was legal . . . I was coaching; the refs let it go . . . it was clearly (to by biased eyes) a deliberate play and used to set up a shot for the player who literally scored almost all of the team's points.

Smitty Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 951429)
I was coaching

Sorry - I assumed you were a ref.