The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

New thread: Karl Hess out of ACC

Since the relevant parts of the previous thread got clouded up, here's a new one.

What are your thoughts on one of the best but most polarizing officials in the country being ousted but the ACC?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 07:01pm
We don't rent pigs

I think if he displayed behavior which was unacceptable, the fact that he may be one of the best is irrelevant.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I think if he displayed behavior which was unacceptable, the fact that he may be one of the best is irrelevant.
I agree with this. People skills are important.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 10:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I spoke with 3 different officials today who all said Hess has horrible people skills and is a little (or alot) touched in the head.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2015, 10:28pm
Official & Member

If the above is true, it is pretty amazing that he has been able to rise as far as he has. Poor judgement off the court and poor people skills would doom 90% of officials. He had to have a pretty strong backer somewhere along the way.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
If the above is true, it is pretty amazing that he has been able to rise as far as he has. Poor judgement off the court and poor people skills would doom 90% of officials. He had to have a pretty strong backer somewhere along the way.
Six Final Fours…..so yeah I guess he did.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Since the relevant parts of the previous thread got clouded up, here's a new one.

What are your thoughts on one of the best but most polarizing officials in the country being ousted but the ACC?
…..and (as reported by ESPN) removing himself from the remaining games on his schedule in both the SEC and the AAC.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 11:04am
Do not give a damn!!

It must be that he admitted to such comments or similar comments. And either way, you cannot say those things and get away with that to most people or in an educational setting.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 01:27pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
When people step on their own hot dog it almost always involves temperament and behavior..You can have the best hard skills/technical skills but if you are a PITA to deal with, people will tire of your act and cut you loose!!
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 02:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It must be that he admitted to such comments or similar comments. And either way, you cannot say those things and get away with that to most people or in an educational setting.

Peace
Yes, he admitted to the statement.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2015, 05:36pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

Again, this profession/avocation/career (for many) that we all do has now become so microscopic that its never remembered for the 99 things we did right (on & off the court), its the one thing that we don't do right that hangs over our heads. . .

That being said, in the case of Hess, its just where 1) he has a past history of acrimonious actions, or things that are frowned upon, 2) he has never been apologetic about any of them, and 3) when you're on tape and its validated of your actions, there's nothing where you can be defended. . .

More than that, the instance where this particular individual just happened to be a person in a position of leverage and weight with the ACC, that just served as the proverbial nail in the coffin.

Think about it for a moment - to give an example (and I actually looked this up), when Valentine had his "episode" with Mick Cronin of Cincinnati, since that game, Valentine has not had Cincy again anywhere - now, in the very small world of officiating, and especially one of his stature, does anyone think that's sheer coincidence?

I mean, we had an owner of a professional franchise stripped of his ownership by a league (the NBA) and the legal system due to saying racial comments and it being exposed through the wonders of telecommunications. . .

The only salvaging thing that Hess did was to remove himself from the other games so as to not bring attention to the people in stripes, and it serving as a distraction to any game. . .
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Valentine did not use a racial slur when emotions were high Thats the key.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 11:03am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Valentine did not use a racial slur when emotions were high Thats the key.

And that is why the whole situation and our PC culture is ridiculous. It is ok to insult somebody by calling them a dumb mother ****er, but it isn't ok to call the same person a dumb insert racial/ethnic/religious slur here mother ****er. Give me a freaking break, both are insults, saying either to a fan should be considered unprofessional, and neither should result in Hess being fired.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
And that is why the whole situation and our PC culture is ridiculous. It is ok to insult somebody by calling them a dumb mother ****er, but it isn't ok to call the same person a dumb insert racial/ethnic/religious slur here mother ****er. Give me a freaking break, both are insults, saying either to a fan should be considered unprofessional, and neither should result in Hess being fired.
Both would get me fired from my lower division conferences, why shouldn't it get a Big Dawg fired from a Big Boy conference?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2015, 11:35am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I'd get fired in a heartbeat if I ever called a coach or fan either of those things.
And any coach that called me either of those things in a game would find that his/her presence was no longer required that day.